Need advice on a system for a classic BMW

newport2002
10+ year member

I have a 1976 BMW 2002 and I am building my system. I have Nakamichi CD500 deck. In the doors I plan on 6.5 2 way components and 6x9s in the rear deck. My question is can I do this and get good sound from the deck only? If not, can I add a 4 channel amp and drive the speakers and get nice bass response? I dont need it to be be a thumping system, just really nice balanced sound. I do have room for a 8" sub in the rear deck and I can get a 5 channel amp and drive it all, but its really much more than I want to do for the car. I did this same system in my Carrera. Audison LRX6.9 amp, Focal separates front and rear and JL audio sub. Amazing system but parts alone cost me $3k...not looking to spend that much at all. If I can get by with head unit only awesome. Ideas? Opinions? Also what brands? I am looking at Boston Acoustics and MB Quart for speakers and if I must Nakamichi amp....

picture-3.jpg

First of all, gorgeous car...although I hope nobody was on that road at that time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Why do you need the 6x9s?

I'd stay with the 6.5s and a small 8", personally. You could go with separate drivers to save money, stay with the 5-channel and bi-amp the fronts.

First of all, gorgeous car...although I hope nobody was on that road at that time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Why do you need the 6x9s?

I'd stay with the 6.5s and a small 8", personally. You could go with separate drivers to save money, stay with the 5-channel and bi-amp the fronts.

Really? I was thinking the 6x9s would provide more low end that than 6.5s components in the doors and I could do without the sub. But maybe not....thats why I am here looking for advice. So you would do just 2 channels in the doors and a 8" in the rear deck?

The kind of sound I am looking for is full and balanced with a nice low end punch. Not thumping or overly loud in volume, just balanced.

OK...so looks like the 6x9s are seeming like a no go. I was thinking for rear fill I would need some sound from the back...maybe just a decent set of 6.5 coax for the mids and highs and rear fill? I am just not sure that the door speakers with the mid driver near my feet will be enough mids for the whole system...again, I could be wrong....

wow you lucky @#$% thats one of my dream cars. I would do something classy in it like boston acoustics, i would recomend getting nice higher than base level 6.5 comps in the front and amping them with a 2 chan and some base level bostons running off deck power for rear fill. In the back put a 8 or 10 in boston g1 or 10 in. g2 in a sealed box. the box wont take up any room, sealed it will be tiny.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.