Navigation system

lspin01l
10+ year member

Hey,

My dad decided that he wants to get my mom a Navigation system for her car for Christmas. He was looking at the Garmin 7200, but doesnt like the fact that it just mounts somewhere in the car, because it is a soft top Crossfire convertible. I suggested getting an indash screen, perhaps an Alpine one. He doesnt want to spend more than 1500 for this present though. Do you guys have any suggestions for us. He wants at least a 7" screen on it. He thought it would be cool if we could transfer it over to another car for a long road trip, but thats not a number 1 priority. Like I said before, he does like the part about it being in-dash so its not sitting out in the open.

If you guys could suggest some things that fit in these specifications, it would be great.

Thanks

$1500 when it comes to indash navigation wont buy you much, especially of quality. I would recommend the garmin nuvi660, which has blue-tooth capability, has a built in fm transmitter, so you can listen to it over the cars existing speaker system, plus garmin traffic. All for the minimal cost of $999. Only draw back is that it does suckshen bup to the wind sheild.

If you're still looking at In dash, just check out ebay

the AVIC-N3s / Z1s / D2s are nice

Ive heard the eclipse AVNs being nice too

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=so&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=&sacat=79834%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&price=1&saprclo=1000&saprchi=1600&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Do you have a double din or single din dash?

If you're really worried about theft, I'd recommend a single din then. It almost looks like a cheap head unit when the screen is in, but when it pops out it looks like a fancy head unit again..

I love the navigation on my N3. Even shows 3d views of the city near downtown in my area.

The one problem you might run in to is that most Navigation head units will cut out the navigation features at over 4 mph, unless you bypass it.. which voids your warranty and may cause a threat to other drivers.

I like my eclipse avn6600. You can get the avn 5435 for around 1500 after tax, cheaper if you go on ebay im sure. Pioneer has some nice units out too as well as alpine. Do you care about anything other than nav. Are you hooking up any amps, ipod, need bluetooth, etc.

You can pick up the pioneer avic-z1 for about 1700 or less. go to pioneers website and look at it, under navigation go to the z1. and just read up about it. You should easily set your mind on choosing that one.

Definately not hooking up any amps\subs\etc since it is for my mom. There is barely room for anything in the crossfire, let alone a system. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will probably put a list together to send to my dad for him to look at, then ask you guys which will be the best.

If someone else has something that hasnt been mentioned, Id be interested...

Thanks guys

Kinda new to this but jus ordered 2007 Lincolin Towncar Executive L. Since I need navigation system was considering the Pioneer Avic-N3 or jus going with the new Garmin 7200 since it has the larger screen than the 2650 Im using now,and a Alpine head unit.Ive read the pros and cons on the pioneer units but nothing on the new garmin except on C-net reviews. Has anyone had any experience with the garmin?And comparing the two which one seems to be the best pick service wise.

$1500 when it comes to indash navigation wont buy you much, especially of quality. I would recommend the garmin nuvi660, which has blue-tooth capability, has a built in fm transmitter, so you can listen to it over the cars existing speaker system, plus garmin traffic. All for the minimal cost of $999. Only draw back is that it does suckshen bup to the wind sheild.
i do hope your joking.... the pioneer avic series (all of them) can be had online for far less than 1500 and is plenty of quality... good navi, (fairly accurate) most have dvd playback and plenty of other features...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.