MurderMat vs Dynamat, FatMat, SecondSkin and Audio Technix

Jaguar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
GA
Question; Why would someone looking to buy some sound deadening material choose MurderMat over another brand name such as Dynamat, FatMat,

SecondSkin, or even Audio Technix? I decided to take it upon myself apart from an upcoming personal review of the product to find out just that. Whether

your the new kid on your block or a distinguished car-audio enthusiast there are 3 main factors which come into play for both, just the same; Price, Materials used

(design), and Mils (thickness of the deadener). While I'm certain that anyone who's actually looked at the specs of MurderMat would not doubt it is capable of being

a great sound deadener, comparatively is there more to the company which differentiates itself from brand-names enough to choose it over them, the answer upon

my research was surprisingly a resounding yes in every category.

mmvs3d.jpg

While there may be a follow up on my initial post on materials used, and perhaps even a more comprehensive look at the comparisons of price per SQ foot

(if I have time) the information in which my research yielded I thought was worth sharing had to do with Mils. I'll let the graph I made speak for itself, but

as far as price goes, I will say there were places that were selling the premium versions of the brand-names mentioned IE: Dynamat Extreme, FatMat

MegaMat, SecondSkin Damplifier Pro, and Audio Technix Pro, for nearly twice as per SQ foot of MurderMat, while none of the premium versions named

had as many mils as even the standard version of MurderMat BL. On the flip-side, the prices of the normal/standard versions of some of the brand names

mentioned were near or as expensive as the 90Mil premium MDK versions of sound deadener from MurderMat Sound Solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa. Outstanding research. You made a bar graph from the printed thickness of each product.
Great work. Very scientific. Extremely useful and informative.

Would read again.
Agreed. Advertised thickness is almost always wrong. You also forgot Second Skin Alphadamp.

OP you need to truly understand what deadener is for and the reasoning behind it before you can even begin putting together charts and tests. Just because something has a thicker aluminum layer to it doesnt mean the butyl is the correct formulation. There is a reason Asphalt based deadener sucks ass and does more harm than good.

I think hes just informing the CA community of what they are getting there self into. IMO unless you got a helluva good deal on any of teh "name brand" deadner, why not go with something thats cheaper and now we know is thicker also. MURDERMAT FTMFW
how much is this shvt anyway??

Thickness and mass are not the same thing, and what you're trying to do is mass-load your panels. Not saying its a bad product, but I wouldnt endorse it on that claim alone.

Also iDGAF cause I get boxes of AT sent to my house regularly :p

Now Im looking for the other part of the review. Does the stuff last and stick? Ive used dynamat one time before and knew about price going in. I used it because I knew it would work and dampen like it was supposed to. I also didnt want to worry about my car smelling like someone was laying roof in there for 3 months like other brands. I am cool with a cheaper alternative, I just want more a longer term use review vs. telling me its thick.

Thats definitely an interesting graph!

Everybodys points in the thread are valid.

Our thickness is a selling point, but it's not just the thickness that we're trying to go for.

The deadener is pure butyl. No smell, no run, no gooey crap here.

The adhesive is super strong. For those using other deadeners for comparison, it is slightly stronger than even Dynamat Xtreme.

The BL series weighs in at .71lbs/sq.ft and the MDK at about .73lbs/sq.ft, adding more mass-loading than almost any other deadener out there.

Our aluminum thickness's are more than comparible to our competition, and the MDK exceeds most others.

The top layer we have not only looks great, it has function cutting down on cuts/lacerations during install... A LOT.

Some other factors to consider. End of the day we're not trying to attack other products, we're providing an strong alternative. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thats definitely an interesting graph!Everybodys points in the thread are valid.

Our thickness is a selling point, but it's not just the thickness that we're trying to go for.

The deadener is pure butyl. No smell, no run, no gooey crap here.

The adhesive is super strong. For those using other deadeners for comparison, it is slightly stronger than even Dynamat Xtreme.

The BL series weighs in at .71lbs/sq.ft and the MDK at about .73lbs/sq.ft, adding more mass-loading than almost any other deadener out there.

Our aluminum thickness's are more than comparible to our competition, and the MDK exceeds most others.

The top layer we have not only looks great, it has function cutting down on cuts/lacerations during install... A LOT.

Some other factors to consider. End of the day we're not trying to attack other products, we're providing an strong alternative. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Could I orda uh sample ?

There is no problem with adhesion. You can remove it a few hours later, but it will not be in one pull nor will it come off in a full sheet. It will rip, tear, stretch, and distort. But it does not fall off. Of course ive only had it on a few days. But in mississippi heat its staying stuck. There is zero odor inside my car. I was concerned about the smell, but there is none at all. Pleasant suprise there. Ive never used anynother deadener, so i cant make a comparison. But bottom line, Murder Mat stopped the vibrations from my irritating vibrating rear deck. Finished one sidewall of my trunk today and though it didnt stop all the vibrating of my right rear bumper cover, it actually cut the noise about 50%. if i could find a way to deaden inside the bumper cover, id MM that too

As I have stated at least 2X in the initial post, Price, Materials, and Mils are all important factors when deciding what sound deadener to buy. The

bar graph happens to be the result of what I was able to yield in terms of research a few hours after installing the majority of MurderMat I had in my

car impressed with the results as well as ease of application. It was not my intention to make other sound deadeners "look bad" in comparison to MM,

nor necessarily to make MurderMat even look better (although I admit I think it deserves attention). Numbers in the bar graph speak for themselves,

and by no means are they approximations fabricated by myself in terms of the source through which the information was yielded as I got them from

each companies respective official websites. I personally feel it's hard to argue that "advertised thickness is almost always wrong" so much when

you see the normal standard versions of deadener from Dynamat, FatMat, SecondSkin, and Audio Technix are half the mils of the standard ver

of MurderMat BL for just as much or more than the actual price per SQ foot of MurderMat, but, as always id like to think I'm open enough to take

every comment made whether "good" or ''bad" as a learning experience, so thank you. My review for MurderMat will be up likely on monday.

JAG

You glossed over that those points are important to you, but not always the relevant factors when looking at these products.

In order for you to actually make any since of what you are trying to get at, you would need to understand more of how these products work and why. Then you can start to understand why no one here has said one nice thing about that graph. It is not because what is there is not "true" to an extent..but rather how you are presenting the information and what it shows.

Is MM a better product then all others? To be honest, I have not seen one test that would say yes or no. I would imagine we won't ever see that test.

You are taking very primitive information and strewing it out as the end all of information on deadener. The actual fact is you have not posted anything other then your personal thoughts on the products mentioned/listed.

Even MM came in to help clear this up a bit as it is not a very good graph to go by what so ever.

[quote name='pro-rabbit']You glossed over that those points are important to you, but not always the relevant factors when looking at these products.[/QUOTE]
Mils, Price, and Materials used are what points are important to me and not always relevant factors when deciding what sound deadener to buy?
You say such things, but never back up what you mean. Kind of like shooting blanks. Not the first time, but why? At a certain point people must
go beyond ''just your word for it'', for it to be validated.
[quote name='pro-rabbit']Even MM came in to help clear this up a bit as it is not a very good graph to go by what so ever.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much just more baloney from @pro\-rabbit
[quote name='pro-rabbit']The actual fact is you have not posted anything other then your personal thoughts on the products mentioned/listed. [/QUOTE]
I pulled all that information concerning mils directly from each companies respective websites, yet those are nothing other than my personal thoughts.
I'm not trying to say you don't have some good points, but GOD.

I understand where you coming from. I really do and those are decent points.

However, a true test would be to get samples of each and actually measure them all out. Weigh them all out and then post up about it. Samples are cheap or even free if you ask. You seem to like digging around, maybe this would be a good project for you to do.

As many here have said though, those factors alone are not always the most important.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jaguar

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Jaguar
GA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date