monoblock amp for two 4ohm svc subwoofers

Participant count
  • Participant list

coops1
10+ year member

england
I just wondered what watt monoblock amp to buy to power two 12'' svc kicker comp 400w 4ohm subs?

I understand that i need a 2ohm stable monoblock and to wire them in parrallel. But what i need to know is as i'm using the one channel from the amp should I be looking to buy an amp which is 400w rms@2 ohm x1 or because i have two 400w subs should i look for an 800w rms @2ohm x1 amp?

If I was to buy a 400w rms @2ohm amp does the wattage that the amp produce get divided in two because there are two subs or is that the wattage go through both subs because they are wired together through one channel? hope that makes sense.

Basically should i buy an 800w rms monoblock amp @2ohm or a 400w monoblock @2ohm?

If your subs are 400 rms a piece then you want a 800 rms amp because the power will divided between the 2 subs. Does that answer your question?

yeah they are the oldschool comp vr's I will have to check but from what i remember they were something like 400w rms svc.

And yes that does sort of answer my question so i need an amp which puts out 800w at 2 ohm from the one 'mono' channel wired in parrallel is that correct?

ok cheers, so It will be ok if i keep the gain low yeah or get something smaller?

Also ive always thought my comp vr's are svc is there an easy way to tell if they are svc or dvc? I'm getting confused as each sub has four spade connectors, two on one side which are joined together and two the other side. Or is this to connect them together in parrallel? There only seems to be two wires attached to the cone.

this is from kickers website

Model C12

Size (IN.,CM) 12, 30.5

Impedance (OHMS) 4 or 8

Max Rec Amplifier Power (WATTS PEAK/RMS)* 300/150

Sensitivity (dB 1w/1m) 89.1

Frequency Response (Hz) 27-500

Mounting Depth (IN.,CM) 5-13/16, 14.8

Mounting Cutout (IN.,CM) 11-1/8, 28.3

Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 1.25, 35.4

Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) 3.5, 99.1

Min Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 1.75, 49.6

Max Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 2.25, 63.7

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.