Maybe you can figure it out

m2002brian
10+ year member

I have JL 1000/1 that works but seems to be a little funny.

I can hook it up and remote it on, but it won't turn on.

but if I:

1. Take a wire and touch the + input to the - input it will create a small spark.

then

2. Hook up + to batt +

then

3. Hook up - To chassis

then

4. Remote it on.

It will only work in that order. Once it's hooked up though you can remote it on and off all you want. It seems weird it would be that way. Was thinking since I'm new here maybe I could get some help.

I don't know why it works that way.....maybe a short or something?

Why in the hell would you Touch the Positive(Power) and Ground wires together? That is just asking for amp problems or a blown fuse......You do have the amp fused, right?

your power wire is fused too I hope?

also, I don't think it has anything to do with shorting the amp first... it sounds to me like you have something going on with your remote wire - try THIS and get back to us

instead of using the remote wire - just connect the batt + to the amp's remote + and see if the amp turns on

if the amp turns on, it's your remote signal, not the amp.

You're not understanding.

With the power disconnected to the amp. (no wires attached). I take a small 12awg wire and bridge the + and - terminals. It creates a small spark and I remove the wire. THEN I connect power as said above.

It's not the remote, I've been using a wire from + (on amp) to Remote to turn it on.

You're not understanding.
With the power disconnected to the amp. (no wires attached). I take a small 12awg wire and bridge the + and - terminals. It creates a small spark and I remove the wire. THEN I connect power as said above.

It's not the remote, I've been using a wire from + (on amp) to Remote to turn it on.
why wouold you do that?

why wouold you do that?
well, cause if you want to TEST an amp you don't do a full setup. DO i need to draw pictures for you guys?

It's really not that hard to understand. See, most amps you can connet the wires any any order you want and it will turn on, regardless if its "safe". If I hook up ground first, then positive, then remote, it won't turn on. I then have to disconnect all wires (not speakers) jump (bridge)the + and - terminals on amp, just for a sec, then it will make a small spark. Then I have to (in this order) hook up + then - then remote (which is just a wire coming out of the + on the amp). Don't ask how I figured this out, it took a while. After I get it hooked up and able to turn on via remote wire (coming out of amp +) it will turn on and off just fine.

No, it's not installed in the car. I was only wishing to test that it works. I just was hoping somebody with electrical circuit knowledge could help me understand why. Maybe a cap is going on the p/s IDK.

dude you really have to explain this better.....how the hell have you not caused a fire by this point. touch the wire on your tongue while putting ure finger into the amps remote and let us know how that works out

I'm not touching the + and - Leads FROM the BATT. That would be crazy!

I put all wires in. then take them all OUT, so theres no wire connected to the amp. THEN touch the + (on the amp) to the - (on the amp) for less than a sec. it makes a small spark (not going to start a fire considering there's no power connected to the amp). THEN I hook up + from batt, - From batt, and Last Remote, it will only power on IN THAT ORDER. If you connect - from batt, then + from batt, etc. It won't turn on.

Don't make me make a video

I don't get it either, but it works. I'm thinking it might have a bad Cap in the p/s but I'm more knowledgeable on install than actually taking the amps apart and fixing them.

sounds like something is shorting in the amp...

could be caused from bridging the + and -. i know youre a noob and everything but sparks and amps dont mix:fyi:

it sounds like a turn on relay problem inside the amp if you hook it up in the order you said just do that when you install it and let it be.or you could add a relay that is switched on with the turn on http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp you can wire it to give ground of power it's possible that your turn on isn't strong enough to turn the amp on a relay would fix that.it's not the voltage on the turn on it's the amperage normally they are like 200ma it can be 12 volt's all day long but not have the amperage that the your jl is requiring for turn on.but that shouldn't be a problem it .sound's like a problem with the amp

I do not have in depth knowledge of the JL circuit, but what you are saying does not make sense under normal circumstances. When you have the amp disconected and short the positive termanal, it should do nothing but discharge the power supply caps. This should have no effect on the turn on circuit. Althouh it shouldnt, it is not entirely impossible for JL to have designed a remote turn on circuit that is a little more complicated than the standard that most amps use. discharging the pwr supply caps should have no effect, but maybe when you gnd the positive terminal, something in the amp gets reset and then the pwr on ckt starts working correctly. If you know what your doing and what your saying is true, i would contact JL and potentially get that thing repaired becuase something is not right. Perhaps you could do this Mini experiment. Unhook your amp. Take a volt meter and check the voltage from positive wire to negative wire and make sure it is 12.5 V ish, im assuming car will be off. Then check the remote turn on wire to insure it is 12 V. Hook it up and see if it works, if it does not, unhook the amp, "reset it your way" by discharging the pwr supply caps then hook it up agian correctly. At this point you should be able to hook up gnd, then + then remote, and it should work. If you have to change the order around, then there is something wrong. When you hook up the amp the normal way, that you say dont work, leave it hooked up and measure the voltage at the + and the remote. So one lead of the multimeter on the + and the other on the _ of the amp. This will tell you if the gnd is okay and if the voltage at the amp is okay. if it dont work and you have both voltages high, then you got a messed up amp and should have it repaired. Maybe you have a remote turn on relay that is going bad or something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.