Many Starting Questions (Amp for subs, 6spk from 4ch amp, HO alt)

Participant count
  • Participant list

vostok4

Hey everyone, I'm just starting to have a little fun with my 1990 Isuzu Trooper. It's a really beat up car, but I am getting some good audio equipment for cheap, so I thought I'd have some fun.

I'm going to be driving the speakers from a JL 300.4 amp. I'm trying to figure out what would sound nice, as I'm not really aiming to be the loudest system on the street nor the biggest bass. I was thinking of doing 2x 5 1/2" 2 way in the front kick panels, 2x 6 1/2" 2 way in the rear passenger doors, and 2x 6x9 3 way in the cargo area, mounted to the side panels. Can I drive 6 speakers from this amp? Should I forget about the 6x9 in the back? I drive mostly alone, so I'm looking for good sound for the driver //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The subs will be two JL 12W6's, I'm not sure what amp to drive them off of (I just want enough for them to sound clean). They are DVC with each VC rated at 4ohm, so that means if I run them all in parallel I should be seeing 1ohm load, right? I'm trying to stay within 150$ for an amp for these, but according to JL's docs I should power them with 400W per sub, so I would need an 800W@1ohm amp? I heard good things about the Audioque AQ1200D, but **** that really doesn't sound like the amount of wattage I need (in terms of listening volume). I'm worried about my car's electrical system if I get that too...

I have a stock alternator, an Optima battery. I plan on doing the Big 3 as per the forum post, but I'm not sure if I'd still need an HO alternator? I don't care about high volumes, I just don't want to damage anything with too low power output.

I've been doing a lot of reading as of late, but I'm still not sure if I should be looking for a mono amp for the subs, or a dual channel amp.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would ditch the 6x9's. if you just want sound up front, focus your efforts and money up front. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Try to get larger speakers up front. You don't need much sound coming from behind you.

that is a very low budget for an amp for some very nice subs. Look at a Powerbass ASA 1000.1dx. A Class D mono amp that is 1 ohm stable is your best bet.

install a digital volt meter in the dash and monitor your voltage. if you can maintain >13.5VDC with the vehicle on and the system at your normal volume, you're just fine without an H.O. alt. if you keep dropping to 12VDC or lower with the vehicle on - time for a new alt or better grounding (big 3).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.