Looking to Upgrade - Quality + Bump

Participant count
  • Participant list

CadillacMatt
10+ year member

Disturbing the Peace
Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade from my current sub setup (2x1200w Xplods on a RF Punch 325.1 Mono Block Amp, in a sealed box). It gives me decent bump for the price (I know no laughing please) but I really want to upgrade into something better.

I'm looking for a sub setup that hits hard, but isn't "sloppy" or "muddy". I would like them to be highly responsive and clear, but nice and loud too. I'm not looking into building an award-winning SPL setup, but I do want some subs that will shake the car with deep, accurate bass.

I've mainly been debating between Kicker 15" L7s and JL 12" W7s, but I don't know how these subs are in SQ. They are loud no doubt but do they sound good?

I would be willing to spend around $1000, if anyone could give advice, personal experience, etc I would appreciate it, thanks!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

An L715 in the right ported box properly powered would blow your current setup out of the water.. but then again just cause youve heard that L7s and JL W7s are the best doesnt mean they are (depending on preference of course).

The truth is, they are very different subs. Heres what you need to know:

Basically, the majority of the subs on the market can sound pretty good if you set them up properly. If you are truly an audiophile, and want subs that are extermely accurate then we can recommend some for you (there are plenty of people floating around here that know a thing of two about sound quality)

However, if you simply want a sub that gets loud while sounding much better than a sony xplod or other super budget sub (which basically includes the bottom 1/3 of most "sort by price" items on websites and the bottom 1/2 of the stuff they sell at best buy), there are more options than you probably want to know about.

In fact, Ive had setups that were completely FREE that amaze friends who think they know car audio. You just have to know where to look.

That brings me to the next question.. What do you want that 1000 limit to include? Sub(s) amp and box? just subs? are you willing to buy from an online company (keep in mind that this usually saves you about 30-40%, and the warranties are generally the same as big audio stores.. as in if it blows its your fault)? Do you want to keep it under 1500 ish rms so that you can keep the stock electrical for that car? Just some **** to get you started man

Sorry if this was long Im sippin on some vodka but I want to help you out cause I'm from SA originally so let us know

What do you want that 1000 limit to include? Sub(s) amp and box? just subs?
Sub(s) amp and the box. I could go a little over that because I plan to buy everything in pieces as I get the money. I'm running 4ga power so I might have to look into upgrading that but I can take care of that if the need arises.

are you willing to buy from an online company (keep in mind that this usually saves you about 30-40%, and the warranties are generally the same as big audio stores.. as in if it blows its your fault)?
Of course! I would prefer to buy online because as you said you can usually find pretty good deals.

Do you want to keep it under 1500 ish rms so that you can keep the stock electrical for that car?
Yes, if possible. I don't think I would need anything so loud as to require an electrical upgrade (besides the 'Big 3' which I plan on doing anyhow)

Sorry if this was long Im sippin on some vodka but I want to help you out cause I'm from SA originally so let us know
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

I mentioned Kicker and JL because I'm pretty unfamiliar with some of the smaller (possibly better?) brands. Also, can you squeeze good SQ that's as good or better than a sealed box? Sorry if I'm a little naive but I haven't had any first hand experience with ported, all of my setups have been sealed. Thanks!

Audioque 1200 on Fi Q 12 or 15" in a ported box shoudl be under 1,000 easily even with wiring.

amp is 250 sub is $250-300 find someone local to build you box or just PM BJfish and see what shipping would be to your zip.

alos new IA mag, you could do two twelves sealed on a SAQ 1200 for like $750, supposed to have some **** good SQ and low end extension, also would be a pretty small enclosure. about a cubic foot per sub.

Audioque 1200 on Fi Q 12 or 15" in a ported box shoudl be under 1,000 easily even with wiring.
I've heard a lot about Fi subs from reading these forums... they seem to be kind of a big deal. How do they stack up to the more popular names in SQ and loudnss?

15" Nightshade..you NEED one!
Same question as above...

Thanks for the input guys!

Ok I went on the Fi Audio website and did a little research... looks like the Fi Q 15" would be what I'm looking for? The price looks really good. I'm thinking maybe two in a sealed box, or would ported be better?

Just trying to gather some ideas

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.