Looking for stereo suggestions for my Ford Edge

Participant count
  • Participant list

ccualumni

I bought a 2014 Ford Edge Sport after I wrecked my Expedition. The Edge has Ford's premium stereo (whatever they call it), but I am not impressed with it as my '06 Expedition's stereo was louder and had more bass. I do have a sub in the car, but it is just OK. At the higher end, the stereo gets distorted and is not as clear as I want it.

I have not purchased car stereo equipment in a LONG time so I am not sure what to look, what price to expect or what will improve my sound.

My goal is not to have the best stereo on the block, but would like to improve the sound.

Is there a site that I can enter my vehicle into that will tell me what I can upgrade to?

Can anyone suggest what sub I should upgrade to, do I need to add an amp, should I replace all of my speakers? My first thought is just to upgrade the sub which should help with the sound quality and see if that works.

Any suggestions or ideas for what I should upgrade to and whether or not to add an amp?

I know this is a bit general, but hopefully I gave enough information.

Thank you

I have had lots of views, but no responses.

Sorry, but I am new to this forum so hope I did not break any rules or anything.

Should I be more specific or am I missing anything that I should have posted?

Thank you

If you turn up your stereo and you get distortion. That means your trying to get a certain level of loudness and the amp in the stereo is distorting and cant produce what you want.

So yes. Get an aftermarket nice head unit. However, headunits dont have any real power to put out. that 15-20 rms they state is usually way less. So yes, youll want to amp your speakers.

Whats kinda $$$ are you looking to spend

You dont need to worry about your sub. It only produces like 20% of your music and isnt your main problem right now.

I have not set a budget yet, but would prefer to get the best.

Can I just go to a stereo shop and ask about getting an amp installed?

If I get a new head unit and it does not have any power, will it really make a difference?

Thanks for the replies.

If you can replace the head unit that's a good start. Replacing the front component speakers in addition to adding an amplifier for said speakers will make a huge difference. The sub can come last. If you want to keep the stock head unit you'll need to get some sort of stereo integration going. Lc2i or lc7i. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Find out what size speakers you have in the car and report back. People here can give a billion opinions once you tell them the size. Also try doing some research on speakers in your available size. Unless you are willing to cut and fabricate. Then the sky is the limit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.