Looking for advanced knowledge on newer brands vs more well known brands.

smtroupe
10+ year member

Hi, I recently sold my jl w7 with my last car and have been regretting it ever since. I been on craigslist looking for a new set up for my Audi A4. I have owned 12" type r's, 12" type x, P1's, 12" w7, ect... My budget is up to $500 for sub(s), box, amp. I have been seeing alot of new brands I don't recogonize. My main search was on another set or type r's, a set of w3's, a type x or a W7. But, upon research sounds like there is some newer better brands out there. I want loud bass, but i also listen to alot of metal.(which even though type r's aren't SQ subs i enjoyed the way they use to kick). So to my actual question; should I continue looking at these subs or is there better brands out there? Such as RE, FI or what ever these new ones are. Thanks for your time and advice.

P.s. I do have a sundown SA-8 i bought refurbed for $50 a couple of years ago. I had two and blew the coil on one. So i was going to buy another and just run 2 8" but they have gone up alot in price.

It really depends on what you want yes there are some better subs and amps available The days of the mainstream stuff isn't what it used to be most of it is junk now. With the exception if a very few. Which is very exspensive

open to all suggestions. i guess i want something as loud as two type r's in a ported box but has been sq even open to the idea of 3 10" 300-400rms subs in a sealed box.

500$ is pretty tight for subs box and amp. What did you pay for the W7?

Are you willing to buy used sub/amp? Can you build your own box? How much space do you have to sacrifice?

IMO you're not going to get what you're after with prefab box, and what brand of woofer should be low on the list of priorities considering there's so many companies mass producing essentially the same stuff out of China.

500$ is pretty tight for subs box and amp. What did you pay for the W7?
Are you willing to buy used sub/amp? Can you build your own box? How much space do you have to sacrifice?

IMO you're not going to get what you're after with prefab box, and what brand of woofer should be low on the list of priorities considering there's so many companies mass producing essentially the same stuff out of China.
I am looking at used stuff on craigslist. I paid 400 for my last w7 with the jl red eye box. I'm pretty between a set of w3 and a set of type r's

I am looking at used stuff on craigslist. I paid 400 for my last w7 with the jl red eye box. I'm pretty between a set of w3 and a set of type r's
Better can ba had for your money. Craigslist will mostley have your avarage local junk with a very few exceptions. Try looking here for used equipment. Since you said a w7 I'm thinking you want 1000 rms power and sub ?

Better can ba had for your money. Craigslist will mostley have your avarage local junk with a very few exceptions. Try looking here for used equipment. Since you said a w7 I'm thinking you want 1000 rms power and sub ?
yes i want to be in the 1-1200 range. And need to find something within a 200 mile area. Shipping cost to much. Please link anything you have seen in my area and i would be greatly appreciated.

yes i want to be in the 1-1200 range. And need to find something within a 200 mile area. Shipping cost to much. Please link anything you have seen in my area and i would be greatly appreciated.
I have a couple of used amps that will work and are in your price range

I have a couple of used amps that will work and are in your price range
Your in cali, that is at least 20$ extra in shipping. What brands were you talking about that i could find on here that would be better then w7, w3, type r type x? please be specific

Your in cali, that is at least 20$ extra in shipping. What brands were you talking about that i could find on here that would be better then w7, w3, type r type x? please be specific
You'll notice there's a couple vendors on this forum who's idea of "help" is helping you buy something from them. I'd say the onus is on you to browse the classifieds section and check people's locations if you want to do local.

That being said, don't rule out long distance... I've bought quite a bit of gear through forums from all over the country that has been priced very nicely even taking the hit on higher shipping. I hate dropping the extra dough in shipping on general principal, but you'll find plenty of sellers will sacrifice price to make a sale for various reasons if you're patient. The winter is a particularly good time to offer low on used gear and get it for good price. 2 months from now will be a whole different story.

I can ship either amp for $20 insured and get it there in 3-4 business says the hifonics hfi 1000 for $140 shipped or my Polk pa 1000 for $220 shipped
You talk down about name brands yet you're trying to sell the dude a Polk Audio and a HiFonics amplifier for a shipped price that's only slightly lower than retail on Amazon? You're just trying to make a sale aren't you?

OP, most people talk down about "name brands" because they have no experience in it, not to mention all the "internet brands" all have really, really similar products to the point where they might as well copy each other. No sense of unique style, no patents on most of their products if not all of it, and these idiots still think it's the best or something but hey, some people think that mongol Hennessy Venom GT is the best US-made car ever because it can go really fast in a straight line, even though it is just a stretched Lotus Exige from England with a big engine.

I recommend Memphis Audio's M-class subs and their Power Reference amplifiers, their Mojo5 subs are really good as well. You can also checkout MTX's new 75 and 95 series of subs and their xThunder amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.