Looking for a head unit similar to the Sony DSX-s310BTX

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gh0zt36
10+ year member

I had this head unit in a car I sold and I loved it . My million year old eclipse is going out in my bronco and am looking for a similar head unit to the S310BTX

CD player is not a requirement .

The head unit im looking for MUST be able to accept a microSD to USB adapter and have the ability to browse folders on a microSD card via USB port.

I WOULD LIKE but not necessary to have an internal USB port like the S310BTX where the CD player would be .

The s310BTX was awesome . It had no CD player and was a digital media player only and I used a microsd to usb adapter to play 9k skip proof songs on microsd card it was bad ***.

Front facing usb port is ok but Ya know accidents happen and if something hits the adapter it could bust the USB port which is why Id like a digital media player with NO CD internal USB ports like the s310BTX

I found on on amazon but I only paid 134.00 for mine years ago and now since that model was discontinued by sony sellers think it is a rare special snowflake ( which I guess it kinda is due to its proprietary nature)

I figured sony would have an updated newer model but I cant confirm any of their media players have the features I want .

Anyone steer me in the right direction ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok , I got it narrowed down to the Sony MEX-XB100BT and the Pioneer DEH-80PRS

The 14watts rms of the Pioneer doesn't sound great to me . Personally I like the 40watts rms of the sony . Sonic electronics even dynod it at 4 ohms and it got 42watts actual RMS AWESOME !!!

But I have read more than a few folks say the Sony resets itself to demo alot and I definitely do not want to have to set a 10band eq a few times a month . Anyone have any time on this deck recently ? The issue been addressed ?

Yea Im figuring that out haha. Why bother putting any amp in it then ?? I dont need it to push 18's but if it could push a couple 6x9s and a 5 1/4 or two I mean thatd help . It shoulda went the way of the p99rs imho if they intended on putting a ipod mini amp in it .

I never had a problem with head units that had 22watts rms . I usually keep bass all the way down on the head unit , amp way up and head unit sub freq tailored to 60hz and it always provided a clear punchy sub bass without all the upper freq bleeding like you get when you have the 100-120hz range highlighted .

But I always figured 22watts rms would be the lowest level .

I dont like bass that has rivets popping out of my sheet metal so I never needed an amp for my highs . I used to love the pioneer deh 6700 7200 7600 with the dolphins swimming and race car animations . They sounded great . I just dont understand why pioneer felt the need to drop from an acceptable 22rms to 14 .

To be fair I have never heard a 14rms stereo so I dont know how much difference it would make but it sounds markedly less and moving towards an output that seems like more of a gimmick for necessary function .

I mean what if someone saw the SQ properties of this deck and didnt want subs but just replace a stock stereo ?

Oh ok , I was wondering if you would . If 1f there is no audible difference between 14 and 22rms then maybe I could deal with it . I wish I could find one locally and hear what it sounds like. Do you think the 14rms would actually be 14rms on the 80prs ?

So whats the word ? Anyone had the 80prs and xb100bt ?? is the xb100bt going to fall very far behind in SQ ??? I got to make a decision . Buying a loncoln mkVIII monday and need to decide.

There is absolutely no comparison between the 80PRS and the XB100BT. The Pioneer blows it away!!! If you are considering the XB100BT, I saw a Sony DSXS210X on Ebay for only $90. Whatever route you go, GET AN EXTERNAL AMP!!! Even if you stay passive, you will see a world of difference in SQ. Even if you buy an inexpensive amp, there will be a big difference. You have to ask yourself...How many hours will I spend in my car? You will find the extra $ for the amp will be well worth it!! You should sound deaden your doors, that will give you another big bump in SQ, as well.

I never had a problem with head units that had 22watts rms . I usually keep bass all the way down on the head unit , amp way up and head unit sub freq tailored to 60hz and it always provided a clear punchy sub bass without all the upper freq bleeding like you get when you have the 100-120hz range highlighted .
But I always figured 22watts rms would be the lowest level .

I dont like bass that has rivets popping out of my sheet metal so I never needed an amp for my highs . I used to love the pioneer deh 6700 7200 7600 with the dolphins swimming and race car animations . They sounded great . I just dont understand why pioneer felt the need to drop from an acceptable 22rms to 14 .

To be fair I have never heard a 14rms stereo so I dont know how much difference it would make but it sounds markedly less and moving towards an output that seems like more of a gimmick for necessary function .

I mean what if someone saw the SQ properties of this deck and didnt want subs but just replace a stock stereo ?
just letting you know, no head unit produces 22 watts. You'll be lucky to get 10-15 watts out of any aftermarket head unit. Minus the sony mex100bt that actually has a power supply pack to supplement the 40 watts circuitry. stock head units are 3-5 watts. They just put that to trick noobs into buying X crap head unit over a clearly superior head unit. Just like how garbage companies like boss audio lying about power ratings to trick noobs going to the cheaper and higher RMS ratings while they are getting a horrible deal. the 80 prs internal amp can easily match or beat out most of the 22 watts claims most other head units boast.

The sony is fine for average joes that dont want to bother with a full amp and the setup is fairly simple to use and the sound quality is okay and can be tune able to sound decent.

The 80 prs is for advanced users but is completely superior in every single way in a more "experienced" audio setup. AKA sound quality from superior internal processing, exponentially higher sound quality tuning options. Sound quality can be Amazing to borderline extreme BUT thats only with a lot of audio knowledge. If you dont have any grasp of phasing, proper speaker positioning, deadening, proper crossover points, time alignment, or understanding of acoustical cabin gain/reflections and how EQ can affect proper sound staging. You are better off with a simpler head unit. Because this head unit's options are almost limitless compared to your standard head unit.

Of course its nothing compared to a real DSP but for a head unit, its not half bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.