Kicker L7 Popping

tj1320
10+ year member

I've had one Kicker 12L7 (4 ohm) in a sealed box for a couple months. I recently purchased another L7, brand new, and a new vented enclosure for the two of them. I installed the new setup yesterday and now the new L7 makes a loud popping sound every now and then and I'm afraid it might be blown. I don't know how though, considering that I'm running them with a JBL GTO1201.1 amp and the gain is only half way up on it. Any ideas on what could cause a new L7 to pop at random times like this with the gain only half way up on the amp? I thought maybe the wiring was an issue but the other sub is wired EXACTLY the same way. Please help.

EDIT: I know you are supposed to break them in properly for a week or two but I thought that is what I was doing by running the 1200 watt amp at half power. RMS is 750 per sub so like 300 to each shouldn't hurt them at all, should it?

EDIT: I know you are supposed to break them in properly for a week or two but I thought that is what I was doing by running the 1200 watt amp at half power. RMS is 750 per sub so like 300 to each shouldn't hurt them at all, should it?
Oh, boy. Just because your gains are turned half way up DOES NOT mean your giving your subs half power. You may very well be running your amp at full power even with gains set to even 30%. Theres many variables that factor in. You need to set your gains with a DMM.

Ohh and since when is 750 half of 1200? Better yet, when is 300 half of 750? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Look at the power my L7 is on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It can take the power in the proper box and a CLEAN signal.

Oh, boy. Just because your gains are turned half way up DOES NOT mean your giving your subs half power. You may very well be running your amp at full power even with gains set to even 30%. Theres many variables that factor in. You need to set your gains with a DMM.
Ohh and since when is 750 half of 1200? Better yet, when is 300 half of 750? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

learn to read before you run your mouth. 750rms rated per sub. he thinks amp is running half power so 1200/2 is 600 so 300 each. **** that was SO hard to figure out.

learn to read before you run your mouth. 750rms rated per sub. he thinks amp is running half power so 1200/2 is 600 so 300 each. **** that was SO hard to figure out.
Ok, so i misunderstood part of it. At least i tried to help the guy by explaining that setting his gains 1/2 way on the dial doesn't mean he's pumping out 600rms and that he should set them with a DMM. Where's your input tough guy? Help the guy out.

my new L7 does the same thing when it gets real low.... only on one song that basstronics song...

i turned my bass boost down and my gain up a little.. slams 10x harder and doesnt pop

Push down lightly on the cone and check to see if it's making a rubbing noise. Also, check each coil with a digital multimeter to see if they are both reading 4 ohms.

I also suggest checking the VCs with an ohm meter. I just bought 2 15" L7s and the one had a bad VC. Dunno if that would cause popping or not, but it couldnt hurt to check it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.