I need help please???

moparerrnocar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Fargo, ND
I need some input. I have some major dimming problems w/ my two MRP-500's running two 12" 4ohm type r's. I'm running 4awg for my main power that's distributed into 6awg and 8awg grnd. I've cleaned and checked all my connections from the batt/alt/eng but still dims REALLY bad at full tilt. I have the gains set to 0 and bass+ at like +3 The car is a 89 ford taurus with a 100amp alternator. I also plan on running some type r speakers with 500.4 amp, so 1500watts total.

My question's:

Will my alt handle 1500w's with a yellow top and 4awg for my big 3? If I decided to upgrade in the future to 0awg for my big 3 could I safely get away w/ 2000w? (1500.1/500.4)

Thanks for any input //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I would do the big 3 in 1/0, then upgrade you're main run of power wire to 1/0. Split the 1/0 using a distro block to 4ga or the biggest your amps will intake. You're best off having the run of 1/0 from the batt to amps split as close as you can to the amps.

What awg should I run for my amp's grounds? Alpine recommended 8awg for ground AND power. I think thats WAY to small, so I ran 4 and split to 6 for power and 8 split to 8 for ground. I think my ground's might be my problem. The terminals are a spade type but I have 4awg spades that I could use. It wouldn't hurt to run 4awg for my amp's grounds would it?

Were can I get 0awg cable for cheap? What brands are better than others as far as flexibility and strand count?

My other question:

I think it can be louder...

I've been considering getting a different amp for two reasons. 1) I think just one big mono would be alot more eff then two small mono's, less wire less resistance. 2) It would be alot easier to tune and look alot cleaner. I just dk if my alt can handle more watts even w/ big 3 in 0awg and a yellow top.

I'm also wondering if I would notice a really BIG db difference if I gave my subs 750watts vs 500watts with 0awg of course? To give you guys an idea of what its like now I cant keep cig butts from falling out of the ashtray and my center counsel on my fake trany hump shakes a full can of pop and my side mirrors shake to were their useless.

But I want my roof, trunk, and doors to flex and 1000w just aint cutt'n it. The type r's are rated for 600rms and I've read that alot of people give the r's 150-200w over their rated rms. So what amp would be a good match for these r's that will give them full potential and not work the amp too its limits.

Here's the amps I've been looking at, I like the Kicker the best for watt per dollar but 625w wont gain me much. Then on the other hand I would have the option for 15's in the future (different car of course), but Idk if my alt can handle the 1250 even w/ big 3 in 0awg and a yellow top bat. Then add another 500w for my speakers so roughly 2000w total.

I'm open to any suggestions its just that these are the brands I trust. I only have experience w/ alpine, kicker, Rockford, and Crossfire and they have yet to disappoint me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. JBL I know nothing about but its cheapest

RF T1500.1 ($479)

RMS Output @ 4 ohm: 500W x 1

RMS Output @ 2 ohm: 1000W x 1

RMS Output @ 1 ohm: 1500W x 1

Kicker 08ZX2500.1 ($660 refurbished)

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 1250W x 1

RMS Power @ 2 Ohm: 2500W x 1

Alpine MRP-M2000 ($530)

RMS Power @ 4 Ohm: 1500W x 1

RMS Power @ 2 Ohm: 2000W x 1

JBL GTO1400.1 ($415)

RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 1200W x 1

RMS Power @ 2 Ohms: 1500W x 1

Thanks for the recognition!!!

I would look into an AQ1200 or an AP1500 for an upgrade they're supposed to be real good amps. As to if your alt will handle I honestly couldn't tell you, and you should be running the biggest gauge your amps will input for ground and power(probably 4awg).

I would look into an AQ1200 or an AP1500 for an upgrade they're supposed to be real good amps. As to if your alt will handle I honestly couldn't tell you, and you should be running the biggest gauge your amps will input for ground and power(probably 4awg).
What brand is that AP1500 and who sells them? Thanks

AP= audiopipe, decent cheap amps that do rated. You can find them on ebay and another site for like $155-170 shipped everyday.

Otherwise I just bought a MB quart DSC 1500D for ~$200, planned on pushing 2 new Type R 12's with it(not sure now?)

If your stepping up to 1/0 wire then look to the ap1800d or an amp that does around 2000w as the R's will take most of it, if not all

As far as the alt, prob 1500w total is about all its good for within reason. But adding another good batt in back will let you go further.

the Type R's will take a solid 800wrms each from what I've seen

AP= audiopipe, decent cheap amps that do rated. You can find them on ebay and another site for like $155-170 shipped everyday.
Otherwise I just bought a MB quart DSC 1500D for ~$200, planned on pushing 2 new Type R 12's with it(not sure now?)

If your stepping up to 1/0 wire then look to the ap1800d or an amp that does around 2000w as the R's will take most of it, if not all

As far as the alt, prob 1500w total is about all its good for within reason. But adding another good batt in back will let you go further.

the Type R's will take a solid 800wrms each from what I've seen
I did some research on both Audiopipe and MB Quart... They're both CHEAP!!!! I cant say as a like the looks of the Audiopipe but every thing I've read on the MB in the last 2hrs has been good. MB's been clamped many times and they put out exactly what they claim and the wattage is eff, clean and CHEAP!!! I love the looks of both the onix and the dsc but the dsc is even CHEAPER!!!! I think the DSK 1500 would be plenty for my subs, and match the DSC 4125 (120x4 @ 4ohm) to my Alpine type R 6.5's front and 6x9's rear that are 4ohm rated for 100rms. It would be matching and its a complete 2000w system for $370. Let me know If you wana get rid of your MB 1500, I live in ND so the shipping shouldn't be to bad, just PM if you do.

Thank's SpeedEuphoria[/b I wouldn't have even considered MB until you mentioned they're CHEAP rated wattage. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

First things first though... I NEED to do my big three!!!

Were can I get Knu on the spool for cheap???

Is the Optima 31 Yellow top all its cracked up to be? I was looking at the Deka 9A31 Intimidator... Any opinions??? w/ big 3 and big bat would I really need a secondary bat??? Could my lil 100a alt even keep up charging 2 bats??? I thought a sec bat was only for db drags and car shows were your gona be slam'n w/o it running for a length of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want to solve your problem

solve it once

and get the most out of what you have

big 3 in zero awg

zero awg power & ground from front to amps

use reducers at amp 0 in 4 out

your grounds are too small...........

Your ground wire should be the same size or bigger than your power wire.... If you have 4ga, split to 6ga for power, you need to have the same for your grounds, or atleast 6ga from amp directly to chassis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.