How much louder (8) 6.5" then (4) 6.5"

CamaroCollector

Florida
I am building a system for my 1997 2 dr Tahoe. I listen mostly to hard rock, modern country, she listens to some pop, neither of us are a huge bass rap fans. Do not want a all bass system. Just want loud full range music.

I have already a pair of 12" L7 Solo Baric's with a 1500.1 amp. I already have (4) 6.5 Kicker KS components with a 650.4 amp, 120 watts per channel.

My question is how much louder will the system be if I double the 6.5s (8) 6.5s, and add another 650.4 amp?

Obviously it will be a bit louder. Is there a formula for determining the gain?

Find more efficent speakers. Most standard mids are mid 80's pro audio is mid to high 90's tweeters an go well above 100db efficency. Careful with some companys inflated numbers look for a frequency respones graph. Some companys rate at the peak where others are rated at average efficency.

Doubling cone area on paper nets 3 db. The question is why wound you want to?
Because I am trying to make it louder. I am a audio idiot so bear with me.

So if there is hardly any gain why do so many high end builds use so many speakers? I see 3 and 4 sets in doors, multiple sets in the rear? Is it all for show?

A simple illustration is take what you have now.... while it's playing, bend down in the driver seat and move your head\body around and see if you can hear a difference in sound.

Clarity, amplitude, etc..

You will definitely find something. Use that as your goal to save money without purchasing more speakers.

And what about adding other sizes of speakers? I have all the room I need, building all the enclosures so space is no object
Most of the builds with multiples have VERY loud sub stages or they do street wars where you open the doors up and see who is the loudest. You don't want your front to overpower the sub stage or vise versa. I'm guessing you are in the high 130db range with the L7s. One good set of splits with a proper install will do the job. If you plan on upping the sub stage you have 2 options.

Go with pro audio but don't go cheap. The difference in $20 pa to $100 pa is huge

Or go with a single better set of splits.

With that being said, seal up those doors or it will be a waste.

Most of the builds with multiples have VERY loud sub stages or they do street wars where you open the doors up and see who is the loudest.
OK, again. Audio idiot here. If they are doing multiple speakers because their sub stages are very loud. Then multiple speakers are louder?

I was looking at 2 speakers in each door and 2 speakers in the rear. I am building a truck with a stereo not a stereo with a truck.

Music is Rock and Roll, including Classic Rock which is not real base intensive.

But if it is only 3db higher with 8 instead of 4 at 130 db, I doubt I could hear the difference?

OK, again. Audio idiot here. If they are doing multiple speakers because their sub stages are very loud. Then multiple speakers are louder?
I was looking at 2 speakers in each door and 2 speakers in the rear. I am building a truck with a stereo not a stereo with a truck.

Music is Rock and Roll, including Classic Rock which is not real base intensive.

But if it is only 3db higher with 8 instead of 4 at 130 db, I doubt I could hear the difference?
You want to focus on Proper sensitivity speakers instead of more component speakers. I've heard two vehicles in a past competition one with 10 component sets and one with 4 8" pro audio midbass and 2 supertweeters and it was a sh*t ton louder then the 10 components.

Because I am trying to make it louder. I am a audio idiot so bear with me.
So if there is hardly any gain why do so many high end builds use so many speakers? I see 3 and 4 sets in doors, multiple sets in the rear? Is it all for show?
As far as show-cars... it's mostly.... for show. Using a shitload of PA drivers is generally loud for the sake of being loud and impressing people who think that as long as it's painfully loud it doesn't matter if it sounds like it's being played through the horn of an ice cream truck.

I've heard plenty of these stuffed door builds and they mostly sound really awful.

Exactly, the only huge difference you'll hear is acoustic clutter as more point sources for sound = more room for interference between the sound waves from each speaker. Constructing a proper "array" of speakers to sound good is rather complicated and requires some sophisticated equipment to test and tune.... generally well out of the scope of what's commonly available for 12V market.

As has been stated, proper location, aiming and preparation of mounting locations will do more for you not only in output, but also in just sounding good, than just cramming as many drivers as you can into your car, or relying on gimmicky horn tweeters and ****** PA mids.

I'd say if you have room and are committed to get 8 pairs of 6.5" components in, you could very easily buy/build a really great 3 way system, with 8" and 4" mids and a tweeter.... or 8" midbass, planar midrange and tweeter, or some combination. For example, something like this :WoofersEtc.com - HD-842 - CDT Audio 8" 4" 2" High Definition Component Set

With proper install a setup like that would not be as loud as just plating your door with super tweeters, horns and PA mids, but it would be plenty loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss and actually be able to sound really nice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.