How much do car audio systems drain the battery?

hedron

CarAudio.com Newbie
I know they feed off the alternator when driving, but what about when standing? Like, with the key in 2nd mode or whatever it's called, with the audio on, but the motor off. Assuming I have a "standard" system with an amplifier and subwoofer. I know you could probably deliberately create a system that would drain the battery in minutes.

Last edited:
What do you consider standard. The speed at which the battery drains will depend on the size of the battery, and the watts the system is. If you have a 1000 watt system in full volume, it'll drain faster than the same system at 1/2 or 3/4 volume. Also depends on the efficiency of the amps.

What is your system?

I know they feed off the alternator when driving, but what about when standing? Like, with the key in 2nd mode or whatever it's called, with the audio on, but the motor off. Assuming I have a "standard" system with an amplifier and subwoofer. I know you could probably deliberately create a system that would drain the battery in minutes.
Certainly will. As Ive said for many many years.. It takes power to make power. Its deff not Rocket Science man. When the proper amount of current stops flowing for the supply for the demand, you are left with>>> Nothing

With the price of power these days, taramps and ct sounds, I would say 1000 to 1500 watts is average. Lots of guys on here are running 2000+ and that's not for competitions, just daily. Lots of stock premium stereos are 400-800 watts these days, and I don't really consider them "systems". What one considers average, others think is very little or quite a lot.

With the price of power these days, taramps and ct sounds, I would say 1000 to 1500 watts is average. Lots of guys on here are running 2000+ and that's not for competitions, just daily. Lots of stock premium stereos are 400-800 watts these days, and I don't really consider them "systems". What one considers average, others think is very little or quite a lot.
I've got (3) 600wRMS slim subs getting 900w each, 80w x 2 going to two 4" mids, and 140w x 2 to components, (3140 total) in a Regular cab pickup. If I had room, I'd have real subs with real power.

I'm running roughly 4200w potential combined (betwwen my monoblock and 6 channel) and I don't consider it above average for an aftermarket stereo 😂

It's more than enough to prevent me from running it with car off though

If your audio system constantly draws more amperage than your alt produces, it will drain your battery, to the point of the battery needing to be recharged by something like a trickle or like deep cycle charger, whatever. The alt isn’t really going to recharge batteries that well, at least, not when they’re deeply drained. You can measure the resting voltage of your battery after a charge and see after how much it’s resting at to see how much stress the battery is under after you play the system for a while. Batteries are really mostly there like slow moving capacitors, optimally, where high peak amperage draw can be buffered or load-dampened by the batteries to lessen current-draw stress on the alt, but that’s only while the vehicle is on, I mean. Some newer batteries are much, much better than the typical sealed agm type batteries.

If you draw more amperage than your alt produces, then it’s going to run your batteries down, usually. The alt is the only thing that actually produces power; everything else just stores it.

Amp Hours is the measurement, where how many amps your system draws can be timed to how fast it drains the battery, roughly, with no alt charging, but you’d have to know your system amperage draw somehow.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...