How Low is to Low for voltage?

I just wanted to address the fact of you wanting to run 16v from your alt to charge the batteries.This will fry your vehicles computer.I wouldn't run any higher then 15v.
So 16v would fry my computer even if its just for a burb then turn it back down? The reason Im asking this is my one buddy had a Ohio Gen Alt and it went up to 18v and when he would burp it he would crank it all the way up and burp it and his car was fine.. But I also understand all cars are diffrent

Um I didnt ask if they did?

My bad... I was responding more to some other posts rather then yours...

Personally, Id crank the volume untill I ran into protection modes then back off a hair... I doubt you are going to set the gains so you never drop below some arbitrary voltage and expect the highest possible scores ???

So 16v would fry my computer even if its just for a burb then turn it back down? The reason Im asking this is my one buddy had a Ohio Gen Alt and it went up to 18v and when he would burp it he would crank it all the way up and burp it and his car was fine.. But I also understand all cars are diffrent
I wouldn't do it.Its only ment to run on 15v max maybe.On older cars you may get away with a few blown bulbs,but the newer ones will fry the ECU.It can be done if you have a seperate 16v battery setup or a 12v battery that can tolerate that high of a charging voltage.

Well the lower the Voltage the higher the amperage so the higher amperage will kill your stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

A 16V battery need to be charged at least 18.0V , so if you are wanting to run 16V batteries, plan on your amp seeing 18.0V.

With that being said, all you need is a Powermaster 993 step-down box to drop 18V to 14.5V to safely run the vehicle, they are about $90 or so.

Although I would not reccomend it on a customer's vehicle, I have run my 99 Silverado right at 16.0V for about a week with no problems, other than a fried AGM battery. AGM 12V batteries start gassing almost imeadiately at anything above 14.9V.

When I crank up my adjustable alternator in my jeep to 16 volts, my GEN light comes on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

but thats about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.