Home audio questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

hey im bob

Banned
chi
Building speakers, using a design program, it suggested that my center and tower speakers should be ported, can the port be placed on the back of the speaker instead of the front?

and, for my center channle, im gonna have a tweeter, and 2 5" drivers, do i want a 2way xover, or a 3 way?

I know these may be some n00b questions, but im just tryin to learn.

1. Grammar needs work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2. It doesn't matter where the port is really, IDEALLY you want it to be on the same plane, but since many people don't want a port visible, then rear firing is fine (my center is rear firing).

3. That's a two way network, the 5" drivers act as one speaker, unless you have a 2.5 way network...but you wouldn't be making this thread if you knew what that was. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

1. Grammar needs work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
2. It doesn't matter where the port is really, IDEALLY you want it to be on the same plane, but since many people don't want a port visible, then rear firing is fine (my center is rear firing).

3. That's a two way network, the 5" drivers act as one speaker, unless you have a 2.5 way network...but you wouldn't be making this thread if you knew what that was. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
So, a 2-way crossover would be fine?

Sorry about the grammar:)

A two way crossover is the only thing you can use. The only time you use a three way crossover is if you have three different speakers: tweeter, midrange and woofer. A 2.5 way crossover is where you have a tweeter, and two mids, but one of the mids is acting like a woofer (it's a three-way design using 2 of the same speakers).

A two way crossover is the only thing you can use. The only time you use a three way crossover is if you have three different speakers: tweeter, midrange and woofer. A 2.5 way crossover is where you have a tweeter, and two mids, but one of the mids is acting like a woofer (it's a three-way design using 2 of the same speakers).
Oh alright, Thanks, that cleared alot of things up for me.

1 more question, for tower's, how would it sound with 2 7" woofers and a tweeter compared to 1 7" woofer, a tweeter, and a midrange? Is using 2 woofers an ok thing to do? Or would it make it sound bad?

Make sure you the correct impedance to match your tweeter.

Meaning if you have an 8 ohm tweeter make sure you two mids put together are 8 ohms. This means that if you have a simple 2 driver design both drivers simply have to be 8 ohms. If you do a 2 way with 3 drivers and you have a 8 ohm tweeter your other drivers need to be 16 or 4 ohms.

The benefit you gain from doing another driver is more low end response and other things.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.