Help this noob understand how to amplify his speakers properly.

chuckle490
10+ year member

I'm running two pairs of Pioneer TS-A6874R6" x 8" 3-Way A-Series Speakers in my extended cab ford ranger off my sony cdx head unit.I recently bought and installed a sony xm-1s amp and a kicker 10cvr124 sub in my truck and now I need to amp up my speakers for louder and clearer highs and mids. First of all I talked to a guy who said that a Kenwood KAC-2404S would run my speakers perfectly at 4 ohms. My first question is would this much power improve the loudness and clarity of my mids and highs? what happens if I run my speakers 40-50 wats above rms? becauseit states that each speaker peaks out at 350 watts each. would running every speaker at say 80 watts @ 4 ohms sound bad, or would I just be running the risk of blowing the speakers. How can I run my speakers as clear and loud as possible? thanks!

92366c81bf6147d6b1306ef.png

3b98fa5a3a14436da3eed75.png

60x4 wouldn't be out of line, but you'd want to be careful with your settings.

No bass boost, high pass filter at 80-100 at least, gain set accurately to conservatively.

That would certainly be enough power to risk speaker damage if you do something dumb.

Hmmm, can you point me in the right direction as to what amp to run. I was told that a Kenwood KAC-2404S would run my speakers perfectly, just because the rms @ 4 ohms matches up, or would it sound better to run a 50 or 60 rms @ 4 ohms amp?

the difference in most cases is like night and day, when switching from head unit power to aftermarket 4/2 channel amplifier. sets your gains properly and you should be fine !

hope i could help

What would happen if I were to install an amp that put out 60 watts @ 4 ohms? would I blow my speakers?
you could blow your speakers with 30x4 if you heavily clip the signal. i would match my speakers rms rating with my amps rms rating , set my gains correctly and leave it the hell alone ! lol

Personaly id get an amp capable of almost double rated then set gains properly to 40w at hu max listening volume to help prevent Clipping

That amp is a good match for your speakers. The question is, will it be loud enough for you? If you decide later to upgrade speakers again you may be limited by the amp. It's perfectly OK to get a bigger amp and just turn the gain down to match the speakers' needs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.