Help finding a good unit for my truck

Participant count
  • Participant list

gr8white

PA
I travel the country pulling a 5th wheel Rv and live on the road. The factory radio in my truck has no bluetooth or anything. Spending as much time in my truck as I do, I want a multi media machine to replace this junk factory radio. I have never installed a stereo before, so I am seacrhing for a stereo that is compatible with my truck for easy install and so it looks good. I would like to get something that can stream video and has bluetooth to play Pandora and Amazon Prime movies. I would like something with a quality sound. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Long Bed 4 door. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

To start, here is a link to Crutchfield and what fits your vehicle.

Find what fits your car - Crutchfield

You can do a lot depending on your budget. You don't state a budget so we have no real starting point.

In my opinion you get what you pay for...if you want a quality head unit you are going to have to spend a few hundred bucks...want navigation you're going to have to spend more...You can get a decent Pioneer for around $300.00, no nav. I suggest buying the well known, good quality brands...Pioneer, Alpine, etc. Stay away from the cheap units/brands as they aren't well made and often wind up with problems.

A good head unit is going to provide quality sound...but if you play them through 13 year old factory speakers you are losing out on that quality sound...I suggest a decent pair of coaxial speakers for the front doors. You can run a nice pair of coaxials off of the head unit's amp but they won't get "good" loud, just loud and perhaps noisy, depends on the speaker and head unit. If you want a bit loud add a small amp especially if you want a nice pair of component speakers, which are my preferred speaker for the front doors. If you have factory rear speakers leave them alone...

you're going to have to do your homework reading about the different head units...when you have a selection of 3 to 5 you will be better prepared to ask good questions.

Speakers are more difficult as we all have our preferences...I suggest going to a couple of local shops and listening to them to again whittle down the choices to several.

Don't forget you will need a dash kit, possibly an antenna adapter, harnesses, connectors, etc. if you are doing it yourself...if a shop is going to do it they will know what is needed you just have to add the cost to your budget.

Don't forget your mobile phone...whether Android or Apple may make a difference...

Good luck and keep us informed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.