Getting new brake rotors

ninjatek
10+ year member

Ninja Member
Getting New Brake Rotors....

So it looks like my brake rotors are warped.. pads are low, and when i need to brake hard, i get some serious vibrations from the steering wheel. tires are balanced, front end is aligned. it seems that as the pads get lower and lower, the vibration is getting worse.

I decided I want to get some nice new rotors when i change the pads. I've been looking at the following packages on eBay, and just wanted to know if anybody had any insight into this before I buy... I've read that slotted rotors are really hard on brake pads because the slot shaves the pad to make sure its flat. I'd rather not have to change my pads any more often than necessary. so should i just get cross drilled? The only cross drilled "only" rotors i could find are at the bottom of the list..

Slotted and Cross Drilled

ebay link 1

ebay link 2

ebay link 3

ebay link 4

Cross Drilled Only

ebay link 5

man i just bought new front brakes, i wish mine were that cheap! anyway, i dont think you should be overly concerned about the drilled/slotted additional wear although i have heard similar reviews. if i had to pick one, i'd probably say whichever style you can find from a trusted brand such as brembo or powerslot just to be sure you're getting a quality product. my rotors cost double that if its any helpful comparison

unless you're buying very reputable drilled/slotted rotors, you'll need them cryo treated to strengthen them...

when you consider this extra cost, it makes sense to go a lil more expensive on your rotors, especially since if these break you'll end up paying more in the end than you wold have if you did it right the first time...

slotted and drilled rotors eat up brake pads, but they're AWESOME when you need lots of stopping power...

Unless you do high performance braking you dont need slotted or cross drilled rotors.

The cross drilled ones also tend to crack.

A larger diameter disk and pads will help, and larger calipers, but those tend to be rather espensive.

I highly doubt you will ever have a need for the upgraded brakes and I'm sure you won't use them to their full potential. When you get a turbo and your making 300+ whp, then you can look into upgrading your brakes, until then don't waste your money and stick with stock brakes. If you want slotted and cross drilled rotors because you think they look cool? (I'm guessing you fall into this category) Then I guess it doesn't matter what any of us say.

i got rotora slotted rotors, and rotora pads...i love them. with SS lines, at high speeds i can go from 100 to 0 in no time, and no slipping when get heated up. got eveything from http://www.excelerateperformance.com/indexf412.html?view=home might have to call

occupiedjapan107.jpg

Do not get cross drilled AND slotted rotors. There no more than a marketing gimmick. Having one feature or the other is more effective then the two of them combined. Dont believe me? Answer me this, does Brembo, the best aftermarket brake company offer cross dilled and slotted rotos? Nope. And cross drilled I believe is more effective than slots when dissipating heat and they are only prone to cracking when the rotor was designed to be a solid disk but an outside company cross drills them. I used to work for a brake manufacturer, if you curious check them out http://www.aerospacecomponents.com but unfortunatly, they dont have a lot of import stuff, mostly domestic. Also check into hawk brake pads. Without a doubt they are the among the best if not the best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.