Gettin ready to make my box...

98Blazer
10+ year member

IA
i will be getting 4 rockford punch hx2's and me and my friend are gunna make my box. its our first one so i was thinkin of makin it sealed but ive hearad ported boxes are much louder and im goin mostly for spl, how much harder are ported boxes to make then sealed, and if you could help me with this, they recommend 2 cu ft per sub for a ported box but wont the ports affect that and how do u (tune) your box or how do u determain the length and width of the tube? sorry this is long im just lookin for some guidence

its not hard constructing a ported box, its just as easy as making sealed, the problem is the planning, it takes a lil more number crunching....

does it say what the hz the port should be tuned t0o....

here is a link to alot of useful information...

http://www.wssh.net/~wattsup/audio/

the port designer will help you in making your port...

sspider

it says fb = 35hz then ports- (1) 4" x 10.75 long, what is the 35 hz and does that mean i will need 4 ports, each 4 x 10.75

Originally posted by 98Blazer it says fb = 35hz then ports- (1) 4" x 10.75 long, what is the 35 hz and does that mean i will need 4 ports, each 4 x 10.75
are u looking at the rockford book, i think you are because i had the same question awhile back, i think, correct me if i'm wrong, that the port is of a round nature, so the diameter is 4" and the length of the port is 10.75, yielding 35 hz, so its tuned to 35 hz....

sspider

noo, u need 1 port, a round port with the diameter of 4"

if ya have AOL or AIM and have more in depth questions ya that want to ask, ya can find me here

CisKO4u

sspider

Hey,...I just have a question about box size....i plan on puting 2 shivas in a sealed box, but how does the box volume affect the sound? I was told about 1.5-2 cubic ft for each sub, but what would the difference be in the sound if I made each one 1.5 instead of 2?

Originally posted by SpeeDFX Hey,...I just have a question about box size....i plan on puting 2 shivas in a sealed box, but how does the box volume affect the sound? I was told about 1.5-2 cubic ft for each sub, but what would the difference be in the sound if I made each one 1.5 instead of 2?
Well your bass would be a little tighter and "punchier" and IMO it would sound better. Im not much of a fan of ported boxes, the way I see it, unless your in comps, you get a system in your ride to SOUND good, in other words to have good sound quality, and a sealed box, IMO has a much better SQ. It just makes the bass seem soo muich tighter and more powerfull instead of boomy, know what I mean??

I know exactly what you mean, and that is exactly what I am looking for. Now for my next question...

Is it better to have to subs facing toward the inside of the car, or facing away from inside of the car? How do the sound differences compare? AND, if I mounted my amps into the back seat of my 94 accord, and had the bass fireing towards them (since they have to point toward the back seat to point toward the inside of the car) would it hurt the amps because of vibration?

Originally posted by hogger Well your bass would be a little tighter and "punchier" and IMO it would sound better. Im not much of a fan of ported boxes, the way I see it, unless your in comps, you get a system in your ride to SOUND good, in other words to have good sound quality, and a sealed box, IMO has a much better SQ. It just makes the bass seem soo muich tighter and more powerfull instead of boomy, know what I mean??
Awww come on you can get great SQ out of a ported box it just has to built right. As for the rest of this thread id advise looking more towards a slot vented box and opposed to a round port. theres a few places where you can find volme/tuning calculators on the web.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.