Floating vs. secured sub box

Participant count
  • Participant list

ZPilot
10+ year member

I built a sealed, hidden box for my 8" sub, and mounted it on a piece of 1" thick styrofoam. The box is held in place with two small brackets and sheet metal screws, so it has minimal contact with the vehicle's sheet metal. The idea was to prevent rattling and isolate the box from road harshness. I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not- it just kind of worked out that way due to some obstacles in the mouning area.

I was looking through my Parts-Express catalog and found those "bass shakers" designed to create thumps fro the amplifier for use in open vehicles (like Jeeps) where you cannot create a sealed listening area. The idea is to "feel the bass".

So I got to wondering, am I losing actual or perceived bass response by not having my sub box securely mounted to the sheet metal? In a home setup, you would use spikes under speakers to transfer the energy out of the speaker cabinet. Would the same principle apply to the car, which is a big tin can compared to a house?

Any coherent thoughts on this, backed up by solid physics or something vbesides pure BS speculation?

Here's my sub- it's about halfway down the page on the right:

http://myweb.cableone.net/lawson370/350z.htm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.