First Battery Bank and HO alt

afearlesshunter

Senior VIP Member
As the title says, Im planning to run my first HO alt and Battery bank so I have a few questions. Currently I have my big three done with 1/0 welding cable fused at 300 amps between the alt and my battery (no rear bat.) and have 1 run of 1/0 back to my 1500 fused at 150 right before the amp. like so..
electrical.jpg

Anyways, I was looking at running a singer 320 amp alt, undecided front batt. and 4-6 AutoCraft Platinum AGM H8 batteries (95ah) in the rear. powering 4 of the Crescendo S1500's. I would like to use the same 1/0 welding cable because I have so much of it (rated at 350 amps max).

How many runs should be between the front and the rear batts?

I assume I should run two 1/0 fused at atleast 175 each between the alt and the front batt?

Number of grounds?

Any help is appreciated, been wanting to do this wall for almost a year now and finally getting to the planing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Do as many runs as you can to the back.

Russ, the owner of Shok did a test where he kept adding runs to the back until he stopped seeing gains on the meter.

He ended with something like 30+ runs iirc

Yeah, but when you do add a battery in the back, you should fuse before the battery. A 300 amp fuse is fine for most 1/0 OFC. Otherwise, if the wire shorts out half way to the back, you'll melt wire, discharge (and possibly damage) your rear battery. Not to mention you could catch your car on fire

Only fuses I have are right before my amps. And I'm debating on to take them out. I took out all my fuses under my hood from alt to batt and all my fuses from front to back and have had no problems.

Only fuses I have are right before my amps. And I'm debating on to take them out. I took out all my fuses under my hood from alt to batt and all my fuses from front to back and have had no problems.
Between amp and battery is the one place I wouldn't add a fuse unless the wire was going through metal, like it is in my truck.

I fuse because if I got in an accident without fuses, the wires would short and wreck things. Look at what happened to Jeff on CACO. Accident wasn't his fault.

If someone got in a head on collision with you and your runs to the back shorted up front, that would ruin all your wire and possibly catch something on fire. Not to mention the harm it could to to your battery bank.

I wouldn't use fuses unless wires go through metal that you drilled holes in.

Do as many runs as you can to the back.
Russ, the owner of Shok did a test where he kept adding runs to the back until he stopped seeing gains on the meter.

He ended with something like 30+ runs iirc
Any video of this ? I've been wondering myself cause just ordered another battery today for my new amp.

So if i run 4 power and 4 ground back, do those all come off of the battery or some off of the alt? Also between the alt and the front, am I good to run just two off of the alt to the front batt both fused at 175-300 or will they limit power to the rear?

If I do the whole set up with 4 runs pos and 4 runs neg to rear batts, how many wires do i use to jump between batts in the bank? I would think If the system could pull 500+amps from the power loop, wouldn't having one 300 amp wire connecting each battery fail?

Thanks so far guys, I've been looking through other peoples builds to get some idea also.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have one alternator, one battery up front, and at least one battery in the back:

All runs coming off the front battery, not the alternator.

Fuse after the front battery and before the rear batteries. 300 amp fuses all around.

@afearlesshunter

You will want to fuse to the wires max rating as the amp will only pull power on demand.

As far as runs id suggest 2 runs each of power and ground from front battery to back battery.

You can buy 350amp fuses.

If you are running the amps at .5 ohm then do 3 runs of each.

As far as grounds the more you can do the better as it wont hurt anything.

If you are doing power and ground runs from front to back then add more grounds to your big 3 wiring.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

I recommend fusing ANY wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery, close to the battery.

The alt had a tiny post and you are landing big wire. Your route won't be as good as factory and will be subject to damage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

afearlesshunter

Senior VIP Member
afearlesshunter
Greenfield, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from