Extra Battery + Cap??

Gir

I have 1500w shuriken battery, and for my next system i was thinking of buying another one, however today i became the owner of an oldschool Rockford Fosgate 25 farad carbon cap for only $100!

What i'm trying to ask is, could i just run that cap with my extra battery instead of having to buy another one? I ask because i don't know how practical that would be or if it would even function properly as i've never heard of anyone doing it. Running that cap would save me about $200

I have 1500w shuriken battery, and for my next system i was thinking of buying another one, however today i became the owner of an oldschool Rockford Fosgate 25 farad carbon cap for only $100!
What i'm trying to ask is, could i just run that cap with my extra battery instead of having to buy another one? I ask because i don't know how practical that would be or if it would even function properly as i've never heard of anyone doing it. Running that cap would save me about $200
You just wasted 100 bucks fyi.

Only thing its good for is nostalgia purposes,only caps that are worth a **** are maxwell banks.or the xs power ones but never used them.

I mean.. either way the only ones i can find for sale online are all between $300 and $500 and considering the condition i think i lucked out... but either way the question was can i run it with a extra battery lol

Only thing its good for is nostalgia purposes,only caps that are worth a **** are maxwell banks.or the xs power ones but never used them.
I actually agree with this my self lol, but if any cap that isnt a maxwell and isn't a low-end brand i'd consider fosgate a nice medium and for the price i paid i definitely came out on top. And hey.. it looks bad ***!

I actually agree with this my self lol, but if any cap that isnt a maxwell and isn't a low-end brand i'd consider fosgate a nice medium and for the price i paid i definitely came out on top. And hey.. it looks bad ***!
But the Rockford one is NOT the same animal, totally different internal technology.

A bank of 3000F caps will store enough energy to run a 1000W amp for about 20 secods, a 25F (assuming that's even honest) cap for under 1 second. The new super-cap technology stores about 40X the energy of the traditional style film capacitors. I don't know if either is even appropriate for you.

If people buy them, sell it for a small profit and invest in a battery or larger alternator.

Can anyone provide a science as to why i would or wouldn't be able to run a cap and a battery at the same... Thats what i asked.. i didn't ask on a history lesson on capacitors that i already knew, I'm talking about the value of the cap being a score, even if it is next to useless on any serious audio setup.

Can anyone provide a science as to why i would or wouldn't be able to run a cap and a battery at the same... Thats what i asked.. i didn't ask on a history lesson on capacitors that i already knew, I'm talking about the value of the cap being a score, even if it is next to useless on any serious audio setup.
If your married to the idea... just keep it as close to the amp as possible... people did it for decades...plan on adding a battery eventually tho... I had two batteries and when I added an AGM as a third battery it made a HUGE difference...

If your married to the idea... just keep it as close to the amp as possible... people did it for decades...plan on adding a battery eventually tho... I had two batteries and when I added an AGM as a third battery it made a HUGE difference...
I do now plan on adding another 1500w battery for my next system regardless, but the cap is just to dope to not display until i re-sell it lol. I personally just never heard of anyone running a cap with an extra battery, always just one or the other.

I do now plan on adding another 1500w battery for my next system regardless, but the cap is just to dope to not display until i re-sell it lol. I personally just never heard of anyone running a cap with an extra battery, always just one or the other.
Lots of people did back in the day... LOL!.. they just fell out of favor... progress?

You can run batteries and maxwell caps together.

The mainstream ones are trash though. Any capacitor on Sonicelectronix, crutchfield, ect. are shit.

If you already knew the history, you wouldn't be asking the question you did.

yeah if u want to spend $ get agm starting batt then a 2nd one later u can get them at advance for about $130-$160 order online save 20-25%, they still install it..

You just wasted 100 bucks fyi.
This.

With advances and such that we have today/now, typically a capacitor is worthless, although a cheaper alternative to another battery, than upgraded wiring for the big 3, a bigger better AGM battery and an aftermarket HO alt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Gir

Gir
Pennsylvania
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Gir