Designing a burp box

area51
10+ year member

I would like to build a box strictly to burp with, the so called "fart box" but I don't know how to design one. Is there a trick to designing it? I see that the port is external to the box. Is that a sealed box ported? I need help please. Maybe someone could design one and explain. I got PayPal.

This is for two DD 1508s in a '97 Accord.

Max dims are

32" width

18" depth

16.5" height

Here's a basic run down of how to design a "fart box"

Find out your car's peak frequency.

Build a big (for your 8s it might be around 3 cu ft) box for your subwoofers.

Tune it to your car's peak frequencies.

And idk on this one, but i think the bigger the port, the better...

a big box hurts power handling so if you plan on putting way too much power to your subs, you want to make your box smaller than normal. Figure out which direction the port needs to face for optimal scores. most-likely your best configuration is with the box all the way back against the trunk lid (back bumper) with sub and port facing the cabin. it might be sub facing cabin and port perpendicular though, you should test to find out.

1 find out cars resonant freq.

2 tune a little below it (5-7 htz) so it peaks at that freq.

3. build box way smaller than recomended

4. send about 3 times rated power.

5 only do it for about 3 seconds

As stated, you really want a box with a very high Q which is usually done by lowering the airspace, as it gives you a HUGE peak in output right around tuning frequency. Everywhere else, however, it will sound like absolute garbage.

Y do u desire this "fart box"?
Burp boxes have one purpose and one purpose only. Why would you even ask why he wants it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif Is there another use for them besides posting up high TL scores and being acoustically unpleasing to the ears?

Thanks for the help guys, I know how I need to design my box now. Now the next question is, you guessed right, "How do I figure out what my car's resonant freq is?"

Run a sweep with a sealed box. Find what frequency you are loudest at. Tune your new box about 4 hz below your peak. Build the box stout, smooth, and air tight.

I don't think 2x 8" subs will load up very well with too much port, so keep it under 30 cubic inches of port per cubic foot of box.

Alright, I think I got it guys, thanks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif Now got to put it to work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.