component rms question...

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeepintn
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
when a component set says, lets say "50 watts rms", does that mean it takes 50 w rms to the crossover or 50 w rms to both the 6.5 and the tweeter? if its to each, i was thinking, would it work, cuz my 4 channel runs stronger at 2 ohms, if i ran each channel like this... wire from the amp channel to crossover, then from crossover to tweeter, then bridge each channel with the 6.5, not to the crossover. it would be like bridging the tweeter and 6.5, but the tweeter would still have the crossover on it. does this make sense?

Before the crossover...
I wouldn't do what you're planning on doing.
no no, im not planning on it... i am curious as to why it would/would not work, i thought of it earlier today, and what do u mean before the crossover?

A 50w rating for a comp set is 50w applied to the crossover. It is effectively 50w to each the tweet and the mid except right at the crossover freq.
but if the 50 watts were fed to the crossover, wouldnt the speakers get 25 each?

but if the 50 watts were fed to the crossover, wouldnt the speakers get 25 each?
No.

The crossover splits frequencies, not power.

It is possible for both the tweeter and the mid to receive the full power from the amplifier (assuming they are both the same impedance).

No.
The crossover splits frequencies, not power.

It is possible for both the tweeter and the mid to receive the full power from the amplifier (assuming they are both the same impedance).
but i dont see how if the amp sees a 4 ohm load at the crossover, how BOTH speakers would each get the 50w if its only sending 50w to the crossover. regardless if the x-over is splitting the power internally or not, it seems to me that two speakers sharing 50w from the amp wouldnt leave each with 50

because the crossover supplies say everything from 800hz down to say 80 hz with 50 rms. anything over 800 goes to the tweeter with 50 rms. frequency is split, not power, as squeek meantioned

but i dont see how if the amp sees a 4 ohm load at the crossover, how BOTH speakers would each get the 50w if its only sending 50w to the crossover. regardless if the x-over is splitting the power internally or not, it seems to me that two speakers sharing 50w from the amp wouldnt leave each with 50

In an extremely simplified version; They aren't really "sharing" the power. The woofer receives the frequencies from the crossover point down (ignoring the slope), the tweeter receives the frequencies from the crossover point and up (ignoring the slope). Thus if you play an 80hz tone, the amplifier is effectively only going to "see" the woofer and it alone would receive the amplifiers rated power at the woofer's impedance. Likewise, play a 7.5khz tone, and the amplifier is only going to effectively "see" the tweeter and it alone would receive the amplifiers rated power at the tweeter's impedance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.