Coaxial suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
Doing some measuring and gandering around the Deltasaurus...it's clear I've gotta rethink my plans since available space I want to use is smaller than my old delta.

For the time being I'm planning to do some temporary coaxials in the factory dash spots and 6x9s on the rear deck in boxes.

Any suggestions on some fairly cheap but good sounding coaxials? I need a set of 3.5 and 6x9

I'll be running them off a rf power t400-4

I need a set of 3.5
With a bit McGuyvering you can use these.
Screenshot_20240325-103806.png

I really like the MM series Polks, but the DB series are really nice and clean as well for the $coin man. Just my suggestions atm.Might look to see if CT Sounds has anything of interest. ?Not a fan of D4S, but decently priced 3.5s that take a little more juice for the coin

os=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5076153852106155417&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026902&hvtargid=pla-379977220043&mcid=136012791fdd336997a2793a9c9e0d3e&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwYSwBhDcARIsAOyL0fjBsVTGXEjq8PZ7Erh7vcwr-xtIjnVYZcB1PDOtFfbUrCyS3cTHOD0aAmGYEALw_wcB&th=1

These will handle a little more power ea. 50 rms. for coupole $s more

With a bit McGuyvering you can use these
This is just temporary to get some music in the car...already had enough of the aftermarket cassette deck/39yo stock speaker combo 🤣🤣🤣. Making the hole bigger won't make dropping the 2" mids in easier once things start moving that direction. I'm figuring the way the kicks and trunk are laid out will end up costing me about $800 more than originally budgeted at a bare minimum to get where I want it. It's gonna be a slow process 😢

@audiobaun I was looking at those nvx 3.5's...ever heard them? The ctsounds bio 6x9 are looking promising but so do the n-series nvx 6x9 😂

I'm not looking to place in an EMMA comp but I don't wanna spend $200 or so and it sound like azz either 🤭

That power t400-4 is rated 60w per @ 4 ohm so I can't go too burly on the 6x9's

Last edited:
This is just temporary to get some music in the car...already had enough of the aftermarket cassette deck/39yo stock speaker combo 🤣🤣🤣. Making the hole bigger won't make dropping the 2" mids in easier once things start moving that direction. I'm figuring the way the kicks and trunk are laid out will end up costing me about $800 more than originally budgeted at a bare minimum to get where I want it. It's gonna be a slow process 😢

@audiobaun I was looking at those nvx 3.5's...ever heard them? The ctsounds bio 6x9 are looking promising but so do the n-series nvx 6x9 😂

I'm not looking to place in an EMMA comp but I don't wanna spend $200 or so and it sound like azz either 🤭

That power t400-4 is rated 60w per @ 4 ohm so I can't go too burly on the 6x9's
Ive havent heard the NVX 3.5s but I know they make a decent product man. Ive heard and installed some 5.25s, 6.5s and components. I havent done 6x9s yet.
I forgot to add the D4S 3.5s that are a few $s more that handle 50 rms each. Those Polk DB 6x9s will prob walk all over the other 2 6x9s and sond 5v times better to be in all honesty man. I know they a little more expensive, but be worth every penny spending the time getting them in and not be disappointed. $5 bucks more and handle a bit more power

Doing some measuring and gandering around the Deltasaurus...it's clear I've gotta rethink my plans since available space I want to use is smaller than my old delta.

For the time being I'm planning to do some temporary coaxials in the factory dash spots and 6x9s on the rear deck in boxes.

Any suggestions on some fairly cheap but good sounding coaxials? I need a set of 3.5 and 6x9

I'll be running them off a rf power t400-4
If your Delta is an Oldsmobile Delta-88 I can relate. I had an 85 Royale that was my first serious install project.

3.5's in the dash should not be amped. Just run them off HU power and be sure to high pass them above 600 Hz. I blew out lots of them with just HU power. My favs were Boston Acoustics S35 which unfortunately don't exist any more. I would consider any of the $70 units at Crutchfield, but be aware that "50 WRMS" is a big fat lie.

Also be wary of coaxials, because the tweeter can make installation into the factory grill a challenge. I also remember having to make the holes bigger to accommodate the big magnets.

My solution was to put 5-1/4 's in the front doors and amp those.

My 6X9's in the rear deck were also Boston's and I think the Kicker KS series look good. I would avoid anything with metal tweeters because you don't want a lot of highs in your rear fill.

If your Delta is an Oldsmobile Delta-88 I can relate. I had an 85 Royale that was my first serious install project.

3.5's in the dash should not be amped. Just run them off HU power and be sure to high pass them above 600 Hz. I blew out lots of them with just HU power. My favs were Boston Acoustics S35 which unfortunately don't exist any more. I would consider any of the $70 units at Crutchfield, but be aware that "50 WRMS" is a big fat lie.

Also be wary of coaxials, because the tweeter can make installation into the factory grill a challenge. I also remember having to make the holes bigger to accommodate the big magnets.

My solution was to put 5-1/4 's in the front doors and amp those.

My 6X9's in the rear deck were also Boston's and I think the Kicker KS series look good. I would avoid anything with metal tweeters because you don't want a lot of highs in your rear fill.
Yep it's an '85 royale brougham

Coaxes are just a temp thing as I prep the car for a full install...I don't wanna drive in silence while I'm waiting 🤣

And it gives me an excuse to install the rf power 4 channel I got laying around for nostalgia sake (my old delta had all rf subs and amps)

Last edited:
Can't speak to the 3.5s but the "N" series coaxials from NVX are decent enough. I have a set o the 6x9's I use on my test bench and regularly feed them full range with a used Focal FDP 4.600 and they seems to play well enough.

You ought to take on the budget challenge, get a set of these $43

and a set pf these $24

Let everyone know how long they last b4 you toast them! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Can't speak to the 3.5s but the "N" series caxials from NVX are decent enough. I have a set o the 6x9's I use on my test bench and regularly feed them full range with a used Focal FDP 4.600 and they seems to play well enough.

You ought to take on the budget challenge, get a set of these $43

and a set pf these $24

Let everyone know how long they last b4 you toast them! :ROFLMAO:
With 70 RMS for a pair of 6x9s and 40 RMS for a pair of the others.. shouldnt take a few minutes to create some smoke signals from Down Under 🤣 😂:poop:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...