D.C.
Hi all,

Setup:

HU: Alpine HD149BT

Components: Polk Audio DB6501

Amp for speakers: JL 300/2

Sub: JL W6

Amp for Sub: JL 500/1

Background... I bought a new HU Alpine HD149BT to replace my old HU which was having problems. I installed the HU and went for the test ride and while I was driving I came to a stop and the right speaker went in and out and the sound stopped. Only the left side was playing. When the touched the right side woofer it feels like its barely working and its very faint... same with the right side tweeter. I swapped woofers (put the left woofer on the right side) and its the same thing barely any noise. I put the left speaker back and its not playing that loud either but it is louder on the left. When I installed the new HU I didn't change the gains on the amp or audio settings on the HU. I currently have the sub off through the HU. What do you guys think went wrong? I have a volt meter that I plan to use tomorrow but I'm not sure how to use it...

Here's a diagram of the wiring.

View attachment 26549774

What I'm thinking is that the ground needs to be checked, alpine harness to OEM harness needs checking, amp?, the sub works fine.

Let me know if you need further information.

Thanks!

The speakers aren't powered by the HU, so unless everything has a problem simultaneously I don't think the harness is the issue. I think you can safely narrow it down to the RCA cable that connects to the speaker amp (if the problem is with one side try swapping the connections and see if it moves), the wiring from the amp to the crossover, or the amp or the crossover itself.

If the problem occurs with both sides it could be the ground, but it doesn't sound like that's it. Check the wiring, make sure nothing's loose or pinched.

After the drive... I got home and took the door panel off on the right side and when I did that something from the xover fell on the ground. I bought a new xover from ebay and installed it today thinking that would solve the problem but it didn't. I only thing that changed was that I installed a new HU and xover on the right side.

I'm going to pull the headunit out and change the RCA cables on the back to see if they are snug and check the harness as well.

I really don't want to take it to the shop but I will as last resort.

you can also try just switching the rca inputs at the amplifier and if no change swap the outputs to the speakers at the amplifier

OK, I have decent Monster RCA cables. I know the sub works so I'm going to take the RCA's from there and use them for the speakers.
I used the 3.5mm to RCA cables and played through my phone and the speakers seemed to work fine. Then I switched back to the original RCAs and only the left side played and the right side didn't work (I touched the woofer cone and with barely worked).

Next, I'm going to swap the sub RCAs and put them in the component amp. Will report back...

What does this mean.. what's the issue?

I switched the RCA cables on the back of the amp and the sound switched sides...

I'm going to pull the HU out and take the sub RCA cables and put them in the speaker slot. I'm hoping the RCA cables are bad and not the HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.