Best bang for your buck 4" coil woofer to play music with 2500 watts and up

As much as that is entirely true i doubt he really will get 30k due to rise unless he runs it at a very low impedance like .5 or .25...
A 6th or 4th on 6-8 subs would really do it in a wagon.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
A tunnel is a 4th order my friend. But I hear you what youre saying. Nothing is set in stone as far as the setup goes but the tunnel is what Im leaning towards as of right now.

I have 70 cubic feet to play with so I believe I have enough volume for what Im planning to do. Of course it would be easier if it was a big rectangle like in a van build but I love this car so Ill work with it.

I understand what you want to do, but I have some concerns. If you truly know how to, and want to make this a well performing setup (loud), then you know that the enlcosure should be designed not just for the subs being used, but the power being fed to them. IOW, if I was building an SPL rig, Id certainly want a larger enclosure if Im feeding my subs 2500 watts than if I was feeding them 5kw.
Of course....thats all taken into account with the design. Each woofer has individual chambers so it can be tuned individually. (Thats a big of a bandpass SPL secret if anyone is paying attention) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But with that said, I honestly dont think the tuning will vary that much between 2500 watts each and whatever the full power ends up being.

Well 4" coil woofers in general will be double the cost to repair and if affording the power is an issue why do you need 4" coils at all?
Affording the power isnt an issue. Id rather have this thing up and running with in spring on 1 amp...than wait another year and bring it out at full power. If that makes sense?? It will surely be fun even on one amp...or Im a ****** builder lol. WHich hasnt been the case yet but anything is possible.

I agree a bandpass setup with fewer subs would probably do better, and be cheaper/simpler (other than enclosure design).
The bandpass idea Ive considered extensively and at the end of the day I decided I really want to cram as much cone area into this thing as humanly possible...which means a tunnel is the way to go.

Theres just something about big cone area setups that FEELS different. 160@40hz with 4 18s vs 160@ 40hz with 12 15s will often feel much different in my opinion. I could be wrong of course. And surely a bandpass would be much easier to tune.

The other things is I want to do something different. Everyone and their dog seems to be copying Bowmans side firing 4th order lately which seems like a good design but Id never do it with it being as popular as it is. Im losing my SPL mind, id rather do a 158 with a setup that nobody has ever seen before than a 160 with a design everyone has.

Another one Ive considered is going with 1 or 2 BIG beefy woofers. 21", 22", 24" perhaps. And try to be the loudest 1 or 2 woofer setup in the world on music. If that was the case Id likely go 4th order to start and of course try 6th order aswell during the tuning.

Thanks for your input...I appreciate it

i agree. sealed is generally inefficient and ported often comes with alot of phasing issues not to mention having 30KW you should have at least 4 300 amp alts. unless you going to trickle charge a HUGE battery supply which isn't very efficient.

Id opt for 3 or 4 18s with 4kw a pop. if you cant beak into the 160s with 4 18s and 16kw you don't deserve to be spending all that money.

first things first is design an enclosure that you can get the backwave close to coupling around the vehicles resonant frequency.. then build a box and use the driver suited to work good in that box.

they have more than a few drivers that will handle 4KW unclipped. im sure the evil series from SSA would work nicely if you want sicking lowend. the ascenant audio team series is an absolute BEAST. not sure about the SMD Id imagine they are sick as well. DD 9500 a ton of woofers taht could give you some sicking output..

they have more than a few drivers that will handle 4KW unclipped. im sure the evil series from SSA would work nicely if you want sicking lowend.
I like this idea. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

On that power you do basically need a 4 inch for daily. A 3 inch 8 layer would be in the ball park of that power handling.
You can find Ti Pro's for 300-400 dollars every now and again.
I happen to have one of these for sale right now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.