amp gets really hot

Alvi45

I have a dodge magnum and my amp getting so hot really fast I don't know why but I noticed the audio shop where I had my setup installed they didn't put an inline fuse from the battery to the amp I was wondering if this is the reason why? Or do I need thicker power cable ?

My amp is a 1500 watt planet audio.. I don't have any other upgrade like the alternator or batteries I just have a simple setup but my amp gets so hot after five minutes of playing even at moderate volume.. My amp is 700Watts rms and the sub is 400 rms .. I really think that because I don't have a inline fuse my amp gets really hot

I have a dodge magnum and my amp getting so hot really fast I don't know why but I noticed the audio shop where I had my setup installed they didn't put an inline fuse from the battery to the amp I was wondering if this is the reason why? Or do I need thicker power cable ?
if you are not fused from your battery to amp i would be disconnecting it and taking my vehicle elsewhere to have one put in or do it yourself.

your amp could be getting hot for a number of reasons being in a enclosed area with not enough ventilation wiring/grounding issues, pulling to much current through a small power wire etc... fusing from your battery to amp prevents damage to equipment and also so you do not end up with a fire in your car long story short i had a friend who did not fuse a 8gauge power wire in his truck amp got hot then wire got hot and then he had a fire which melted his carpet all the way down the driver side fire truck came and everything... you notice if your power wire gets hot/warm as well and what gauge wire are you running for power?

It's 4 gauge wire but I'm going to try and make sure the ground is tight and try putting a fuse and see what happens thanks
We can better help if we know where you or they grounded your amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif from my experience with seeing other people having stores install for them, is it to a seat bolt?

no the fuse is NOT the reason its running hot.. also you need to get one installed... your running hot cuz your poorly grounded,, and running a low quality amp at the wrong ohm load most likely, what is your coil config on your subs and are they in series or parallel ??

I'm going to put a inline fuse tomorrow but at far as the amp goes I have a friend that pretty much has the same setup but he has 2 subs and I only have 1 and his can bump all day long and his will not get anywhere near I wouldn't even say his gets warm lol he has his at 1 ohm I have mine at 2 ohm so I just don't get how mine gets so hot even with medium volume...

if its a magnum the battery is in the back area right? just wire the amps power and ground to the battery directly, and yes disconnect that amp ASAP and get a fuse in there. That's how fires start!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.