alternator relocation

Spooby
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
PCS
Has anyone ever relocated thier alternators to the rear of thier car? I remember seeing it back in the day in car audio magazines. These guys had huge systems (guys like Fakuda) and they had multiple alternators in the rear of the truck.

Would it run off an external motor for demo purposes? or would it some how be connected with the engine of the vehicle?

They were run hydraulically. I remember someone had 4 in the back of their Blazer run off a hydraulic setup that had the pump hooked to the engine. It obviously didn't work as well as hoped because it didn't catch on.
Never thought of hydraulics. Would be a very pricey way of doing it too

Has anyone ever relocated thier alternators to the rear of thier car? I remember seeing it back in the day in car audio magazines. These guys had huge systems (guys like Fakuda) and they had multiple alternators in the rear of the truck.
Would it run off an external motor for demo purposes? or would it some how be connected with the engine of the vehicle?
I've done a little experimenting without success as of yet...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Can someone enlighten me on how hydraulic alternators work? I tried doing a Google search but I didn't find anything substantial.

what do you gain that you couldn't gain in a simpler manner (and free up time and resources for something mro emeaningful)?
What is your definition of meaningful?

You could just use the Automatic Transmissions pump lines to run a pump to drive the Alternator. You only need about 2500RPM to reach max output on one anyways.

Just construct a mounting system, Install a drive system and small belt.

Would this be safer than running a pump under the hood off of the engine belt?

I would assume there wouldn't be any additional drag associated with the setup you are talking about, but I am still confused on how the transmission fluid would run the hydraulic motor in the rear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.