2005 Scion tC SQ Hertz Audison Pioneer Build Log

This is a ridiculous build, with great craftsmanship. I swear, I deaden my car, then see someone who goes all out, and wanna do it again. Geeez. I bet those Hertz sound too clean in there!

I love the attention to detail step by step, especially with the sound deadening. People don't realize how much the install can make the sound sound 10 times better (my friends). I might have to use this thread as an example so they can learn since they don't listen. Great work man, keep it up.

thanks for the feedback. i like being able to do things correctly and show people step-by-step. i've learned that photos keep you honest. in my Accord build, i would do work, take pics, come inside to post pics then see something that wasn't right. so i would delete the pic, go back out, fix it, take a new pic, and then post. pics really helped me with install quality. this car, nothing was redone. all of this is a first go.

we bought 200 sq. ft. of Raammatt BXT II and 200 sq. ft. of adhesive backed Ensolite. we have just about two boxes of BXT II left - most likely for interior panels. the door panels could use some deadening - but mostly because without a sub the ML165's have a lot of low end.

i'm in Rock Island and grew up in Moline. the QC isn't great, but the wife and I are both from here and have family here.

yea, the car sounds amazing. even with the simple T/A in the HU we have a sound stage that extends outside the windows and is deep in the dash. the rear mid T/A allow him to steer the sound stage height - a pretty cool thing to experience when you can't tell the rears are on. the tweeters can't be localized, nothing can. all bass is centered above the dash, you'd swear he had a sub in the dashboard. if only you couldn't feel your legs vibrating... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif even with a critical ear and critical listening training and experience, he's noticing things in his music that he's never heard before - learning more about mixing and mastering.

the sub enclosure will be a fun project. we have two gallons of B-440 and several yards of 3/4 oz and 1-1/2 oz fg mat. the enclosure will be stiff as hell without taking up space and being located in the best possible place. anything that would sound better was done, no short cuts.

the Audison amp is amazing. tons of super clean power. totally worth the money. we have the CH 1&2 on the rears and CH 3&4 on the fronts. we know the amp is really made for an active setup, but we'd need a second amp for the rears. we know what that would give us, but it's so good now, it's hard to want more (considering the grand it would cost for the matching LRx 2ch and resulting install).

and would you believe i'm not being paid directly for this? he buys me lunches, and picked up a $250 CDA-9887 for me. but for the most part, this is what i do for friends. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

thanks for the feedback. i like being able to do things correctly and show people step-by-step. i've learned that photos keep you honest. in my Accord build, i would do work, take pics, come inside to post pics then see something that wasn't right. so i would delete the pic, go back out, fix it, take a new pic, and then post. pics really helped me with install quality. this car, nothing was redone. all of this is a first go.
we bought 200 sq. ft. of Raammatt BXT II and 200 sq. ft. of adhesive backed Ensolite. we have just about two boxes of BXT II left - most likely for interior panels. the door panels could use some deadening - but mostly because without a sub the ML165's have a lot of low end.

i'm in Rock Island and grew up in Moline. the QC isn't great, but the wife and I are both from here and have family here.

yea, the car sounds amazing. even with the simple T/A in the HU we have a sound stage that extends outside the windows and is deep in the dash. the rear mid T/A allow him to steer the sound stage height - a pretty cool thing to experience when you can't tell the rears are on. the tweeters can't be localized, nothing can. all bass is centered above the dash, you'd swear he had a sub in the dashboard. if only you couldn't feel your legs vibrating... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif even with a critical ear and critical listening training and experience, he's noticing things in his music that he's never heard before - learning more about mixing and mastering.

the sub enclosure will be a fun project. we have two gallons of B-440 and several yards of 3/4 oz and 1-1/2 oz fg mat. the enclosure will be stiff as hell without taking up space and being located in the best possible place. anything that would sound better was done, no short cuts.

the Audison amp is amazing. tons of super clean power. totally worth the money. we have the CH 1&2 on the rears and CH 3&4 on the fronts. we know the amp is really made for an active setup, but we'd need a second amp for the rears. we know what that would give us, but it's so good now, it's hard to want more (considering the grand it would cost for the matching LRx 2ch and resulting install).

and would you believe i'm not being paid directly for this? he buys me lunches, and picked up a $250 CDA-9887 for me. but for the most part, this is what i do for friends. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
wish i had a friend like you lol.. my friends are lazy ******** lol.

wish i had a friend like you lol.. my friends are lazy ******** lol.
So are mine. That's why they keep asking me to do their installs. They know how much attention to detail I have especially when it comes to SQ. Yet they still expect me to only take an hour or two, rather than a couple days to do it right and not rush.

more progress on enclosure.

how it fits:

scionsubbox003.jpg

top glued to sides. the bottom will be FG to save height. we have a few boxes from US Composites. the new floor will be right between the amp and crossovers. this is why we saved height with FG.

scionsubbox005.jpg

scionsubbox004.jpg

making progress on the enclosure. we are using 1/8" board on the bottom to save height. doing fiberglass layers for strength. today i put 6-7 layers on the bottom and 5-6 layers along the seams. did half the bottom so i could reach in for this first step.

next we will put in interior braces and glass them in place. then we'll put 6-7 layers on the outside. then we'll do a layer of BXT II, then a layer of foam, then bolt down to the floor of the scion from the inside.

resin used is US Composites B440, 3/4oz matte.

the sub will be inverted so i rounded the entrance to clear the surround of the Hertz ML2500.

sciontCbox_fg_pt1001.jpg

sciontCbox_fg_pt1003.jpg

still wet:

sciontCbox_fg_pt1010.jpg

sciontCbox_fg_pt1012.jpg

sciontCbox_fg_pt1014.jpg

curing right now

sciontCbox_fg_pt1015.jpg

i will say that having a roller for the fiberglass helped keep the bottom nice and flat.

and using respirators was great. couldn't even smell it despite hovering over it.

3M P-100 Pro Safety Mask with Respirator

Item #: 337212 | Model #: 62023DCA1-C

$40 at Lowes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.