2000 Impala giving fits!!

Hey everyone, I recently installed an aftermarket HU in a friends 2000 Impala. All worked great when they left and went home for the evening. I also installed all the essential wiring for subs and amps. Next day they called saying, The HU comes on but no sound. The sub amp isn't powering on either. When they arrived back at my shop(house), sure enough, HU working and no sound. I did not bypass the factory amp, and i DID purchase the correct harness for that model to accommodate an aftermarket HU and retain all appropriate chimes etc etc... So, i disconnected the HU and proceeded to try a different HU i had laying around at the shop. Nothing!! Now i cant even get it to power on!! Neither one!! So i went back to square one and plugged the factory HU back in and VOILA!! Like nothing was wrong. So, wold it be safe to say that the harness i picked up is flawed or fried??? Is it possible to fry a harness?? And, why and or how did this happen!!!

The floor is yours oh wise ones!

i have a 2002 impala and same thing happened with me. i took it to a shop and the problem was that those cars come with an amplifier and i wasnt turn it on. idk wat could have happen.

i have a 2002 impala and same thing happened with me. i took it to a shop and the problem was that those cars come with an amplifier and i wasnt turn it on. idk wat could have happen.
The remote wire that is on the harness doesn't do anything for the factory amp. Nor did it do anything for the sub amp. I had to hook the orange(illumination) wire that was next to it in order to get the amps to power on. The factory harness had two wires going to the factory amp.

Well, you shouldn't be using the illumination wire for that, but I also don't see how it could fry the harness. It does certainly sound like you have a bad harness though. Only way to confirm is with a DMM.

The illumination wire should not e connected to the blue wire that's not what its there for.
I understand that. But as far as the harness goes it was the only wire that matched up pin for pin with the factory harness that provided power to the factory amp.

for instance: "factory harness" - "adapter harness" - "stereo harness"

"brown/tan" - "orange" - "blue"(amp turn on)

(but the blue wire on the adapter harness matched to a pin on the factory but it did not turn on the factory amp)

you can change the wires around in the harness to match usually
HA! Funny you should mention that. I did just that, but the 12v switched coming from the aftermarket chime thingy wasn't giving power to the HU. So i just left all that hooked up and bypassed it to the fuse box for now. I also ran the amp turn on to the fuse box. I used the windshield wiper fuse due to it being one of the only ones with a switched hook up. So we will see where that goes. I am heading back to the shop where i purchased the harness today to give them some advice on their products..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.