15" vs 18" in 02 Sportage

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
So lately i have been debating on this. I have been curious as to how loud a single 18 could get in my little Kia Sportage. I currently have the IA DP-15 i know, but just makes me wonder lol..

I was thinking of trying out a Lesser power, but good 18 and Fire sub and port up due to depth. For Space im good i will have plenty of room to work with in the hatch for 1 18".

I have been looking at: (All subs are dual 2, thinking of going to 1 ohm so its easier on electrical and wont need as much power)

---Fu 750-18s - $199

---Audiopipe Txx bd2-18s(im curious about these, but cant find a dual 2) - $241

---RE SX-18 - (Local guy has one who said he would trade for my sub but i want boot of course, but im weary about RE equipment)

---I would like a Sundown SA-18 but i can only find them on 1 site and i be damned if i pay $329 for one.

Thoughts??? Also any other Budget 18s?

U try caraudiobargin for the SA 18? They were $199 alittle bit ago. But switching from a 15 to an 18 you will prly gain 1db of your lucky.
But switching from a nice woofer like a death penalty to a beginner woofer isn't something I would do. Only way I would switch to an 18 is if it was a better 18 then then the 15" DP you have now
The Sa-18 on Caraudiobargin have been gone for a while now.

See idk how it would work out. Yes the DP is beefy but has cons. The DP15 is a beast and lovers power which i dont have alot of. Im wired at .7 currently and after rise and voltage drop the DP15 is probably seeing 1200 watts at most. Did i mention my stock alt is 70a lol. And i really dont want to sink a tone of money into my electrical. Hence wanting to move to 1 ohm or utilize a good sub that does not need a bunch of power.

Thats why the SA-18 is first sub that comes to mind because its a efficient sub but not paying 329. The FU 750's also are good low power subs for 200. The RE is a local trade thats why its on the table if you will lol.

But i have reasons in wanting to do this as you can see

I'd get two 15's the fu 750 is only $140 shipped. Get dual 4 and wire to 1 ohm
i drive a 02 Kia Sportage lol... The box could fit but probably not ideal. Also i love the #SingleSubLife . I have always had better results doing single sub builds and doing numbers.

Like this year i mad i missed slamolgy. I would be in Iasca IDBL SUV 1 and with my current set up, i would have given the 1st place person a run for his money, so id say i would have got 2nd or 3rd out of i think there were 22 competitors. I think right now its probably a 144 in my Sportage. I have not got to play with much to really predict it. I have not metered but im pretty accurate at guessing in the DB range the top 3 were in. In my last build before metering i predicted a 144 from my 99 accord 1 15" on id say 1500rms and did a 144.5 on dash. Before that i had a 02 Santa fa and predicted a high 144 to low 145 with 1 18" Dc Xl 18 on probably 900 rms(shark2500 lol) and did a 145.8. For guesses with no prior test or metering i thought those were pretty accurate guesses lol

the FU 18 would be fine, I would not trade a death penalty for an SX but if its some other sub, then go for it, no money put out.
No im not trading for it. I was just saying it was a option. But i was just thinking about do it. I notice i have seen some complaints from the FU Subs though

No im not trading for it. I was just saying it was a option. But i was just thinking about do it. I notice i have seen some complaints from the FU Subs though
yeah when QC issues arise, their customer service is not as good as they were back then anymore after they are moving a hell of a lot more product now.

yeah when QC issues arise, their customer service is not as good as they were back then anymore after they are moving a hell of a lot more product now.
True.... I will say Frank stays in the Facebook FU Audio Group daily it seems and is really easy reach out to compared to other companies.

Have you had any hands on exp with their subs

Also i keep seeing a bunch of blown subs it seems. idk if user error or what though

Also i keep seeing a bunch of blown subs it seems. idk if user error or what though
True.... I will say Frank stays in the Facebook FU Audio Group daily it seems and is really easy reach out to compared to other companies. Have you had any hands on exp with their subs
It might be user error but I'm pretty sure its also QC. Reason why is because I do have hands on experience with a setup on my buddy's corolla with a FU 750 12. Its ran on a CT sounds at 900.1 and even though i tell him precisely his clipping points along with trying to educate him on clipping, he cranks everything to the right which is a solid red on the clipping indicator. He does that on the daily abusing the living hell out of that sub and its lasting for over a year now. Stock head unit to LOC so signal isnt that clean at all ran by an irresponsible person. I thought that sub would die in two weeks or less to be honest but it held up. Got pretty **** loud with good bandwidth in a 2 cube box tuned to 33hz and a good amount of port area.

It might be user error but I'm pretty sure its also QC. Reason why is because I do have hands on experience with a setup on my buddy's corolla with a FU 750 12. Its ran on a CT sounds at 900.1 and even though i tell him precisely his clipping points along with trying to educate him on clipping, he cranks everything to the right which is a solid red on the clipping indicator. He does that on the daily abusing the living hell out of that sub and its lasting for over a year now. Stock head unit to LOC so signal isnt that clean at all ran by an irresponsible person. I thought that sub would die in two weeks or less to be honest but it held up. Got pretty **** loud with good bandwidth in a 2 cube box tuned to 33hz and a good amount of port area.
Sounds like a pretty good sub. I wonder how a 750-18 would perform on about 1200-1500 rms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.