Crown Vic won't crank!

Sir Swish
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Nebraska
So I bought my 1995 Crown Vic about 5 months ago. I have never had any problems up until this past month. My car started up fine up until I left my headlights on about a month ago. I cam outside the next morning and tried to jump my car and it just would not crank at all. My uncle replaced the starter and it started up, but then a loud constant clicking noise started suddenly from somewhere under my dash. The car started fine after this but the click never went away. I replaced my battery soon after with a Optima Blue Top because I was getting ready to put my system in. The car was perfectly fine but the clicking did not stop. Just this last weekend I come out of walmart and my car again would not start. I figured my battery was faulty. I asked a guy to give me a jump and he tested my battery and said it was fully charged. He then crawled under my car and bypassed something with a screwdriver. My car started right up but he said my car would not crank over again as soon as I turned it off. Now I am here with a Crown Vic that won't crank. I did some searching on the web and I think it might be my ignition switch, Solenoid, or my safety switch. I have no idea. Any help guys?

Agree it's the solenoid, or possibly the starter relay if your car has one, but 90% solenoid.

As far as the clicking, sounds like you need to have someone who knows about cars to look into that, but it could have been the solenoid even then if it was shorting or failing somehow, it may have just sounded like it was under your dash.

If it is under there then don't be surprised when your car catches on fire one day.

Have a mechanic look at it when it's making the noise.

Advice: The most common indication of a bad starter solenoid or starter relay is a rapid clicking noise whenever the ignition switch is turned to the crank position. This condition can also be caused by low battery voltage or high resistance caused by loose or corroded battery cables and / or connections.

^ Found that on AutoZone.com

A new one is 11.99 there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advice: The most common indication of a bad starter solenoid or starter relay is a rapid clicking noise whenever the ignition switch is turned to the crank position. This condition can also be caused by low battery voltage or high resistance caused by loose or corroded battery cables and / or connections.
^ Found that on AutoZone.com
Nice man. Thank you so much. I am going to check the cables and the starter solenoid.

UPDATE! I checked the wires that run from my positive battery terminal to the starter. They were pretty tore up and corroded. I sprayed some WD40 and tightened the wire. It started right up! :] However the clicking noise is still there. Should I go and buy a new power wire?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.