What has been the most reliable amplifier you have actually used yourself to date?

Nice, yeah, the ARTs did alright in stereo mode, 4 ohms, Didn't push them much. Was just getting into amp displays, seem to fit the part. I tried a few of the other PPIs, and soured on them as they tended to get REALLY hot - like fry an egg on them hot! That little wonder was a trip in its day for sure. Have to say, the old-school RFs were pretty indestructible as were the Van Goghs. The Van Goghs were my all-around favorite amplifiers. Beautiful PC boards, Mills audio grade resistors throughout, triple Darlington designs, S/n rations off the charts (like 114db) 1/4 thick polished billet aluminum cases, handmade in the US, they are really amazing amps. The Adcom amps were probably the best all-around sounding amps, a toss-up between them and the SS Class A. I just wish I could have powered them more effectively, they were very thirsty amplifiers. Liked the sound of the A/D/S but they required a master's degree to configure! I grew up in San Diego, we owned 5 bike shops and sponsored some of the riders who were also sponsored by "Dow Sound Stereo" and "Pacific Stereo" I got to know some of the audio crowd, meeting them at bike meets/rallies and official rides like the Tecate-Ensenada run, the 'Ride across America gig, and would often get demo stereo gear for next to nothing when bartering for hi-end bike gear from Campagnolo and Shimano Dura-ace stuff that nobody had yet. , I traded a very nice road racer bike for the SS HR's, never could have purchased them outright. The linear power stuff has a special place in my heart, it was the first real powerful high-end gear I got in 83-84, super clean, great products.

Last edited:
That would have to have been my old RF the Punch 500.2 & 800.4, Linear Power 100 or the couple of Soundstream Van Goghs.VGA 1600.1 and 500.4's. None of them crapped out, just sold them and moved to others.

Still running a Rockford Fosgate punch 400/4 and a JLaudio 250/1 purchased in 1999!😎
That JL 250/1 (Slash Series) I had for a few years was a little beast. I sold it and ended up with a 1000.1/Slash series that was a remarkable amplifier. I can see those running for a very long time. Built very well! Nice!

They also stole about $3K in tools and my 300 ring (bowling).
I feel ya! My Linear power was heisted from my truck, along with a badass Concord PL-515 cassette deck, toolbox, ray bans and a platinum graduation ring that I took off to install some mew 4" coaxials and forgot to put it back on. At least they left the coaxials...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...