Rubber instead of foam?

Those subs were designed for foam surrounds and they will probably give you the best sound quality as a result. If they had been designed for rubber surrounds then that would be better...

When you take a pseudo-SQ driver and you start arbitrarily changing stuff, you WILL kill your sound quality if you haven't put R&D time into how to make it sound good.

Those subs were designed for foam surrounds and they will probably give you the best sound quality as a result. If they had been designed for rubber surrounds then that would be better...
When you take a SQ driver and you start arbitrarily changing stuff, you WILL kill your sound quality if you haven't put R&D time into how to make it sound good.
What makes a w6 an "SQ" driver ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What makes a w6 an "SQ" driver ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Well, relatively, anyway. pseudo-SQ? I dunno. There are many subwoofers that I'd take over a W6 that can beat it in both SQ and output. I used to run 2x12W6s. They were decent.

Using a rubber surround will lower the FS by adding more mass, which also increases MMS (moving mass) and could change the CMS (Suspension compliance) depending upon how stiff the foam was compared to the new rubber surround.

Ok so stick to foam it is, is this made for port or sealed
WinISD comes with the w6 in it, so model it up and see. I recommend sealed, but from what I remember, they can be used in either type of box to decent results as long as you get the size of the box and the tuning correct.

I ran 2 in, I think, about 1.25-1.5cuft each, sealed. It's been several years and I have long since gotten rid of that box and those subs, so I can't remember for sure.

Using a rubber surround will lower the FS by adding more mass, which also increases MMS (moving mass) and could change the CMS (Suspension compliance) depending upon how stiff the foam was compared to the new rubber surround.
Kind of. Saying the latter is like saying that all V8's have more power than 6 cylinders. Depending on how they are built the aforementioned statement can be completely erroneous. Per a given thickness and profile, rubber surrounds do not add a significant amount of mass to influence the sensitivity rating by a noticeable amount. What they do, however, is change the compliance (Cms/Kms) curve a good bit. Changing the Cms of a driver will impact the Fs of a driver while all other variables remain constant. Long story short? Don't change any material unless you know 100% what you are doing and why you are doing it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.