Wiring and amp choice for two sa-12 subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

countrygunner

Ok I'm kinda in a pickle. I've got two sa 12 dual 2 ohm subs right now. I have them on kicker cx1200 amp. I've seen Dino results showing the amp does almost rated certified, like 1150 or something. I'm still thinking the subs need more. Problem is most of the amps I'm looking at like the saz 2000 and so on are 1 ohm stable amps and don't put out enou 2 ohm to change.

So here are my questions:

1) do I get a bigger amp that will put out around 2000 watts at 2 ohm like the saz-3500? How much will I have to upgrade my electrical for this amp? I have a factory 180 amp alt and have no problem with the cx1200.1 and cxa300.4 kicker amps I have now. It runs about 14.5 constant and never dips below 14 when running above just idle.

2) second option is, if I can do this, get two saz-1000 amps and strap them. Running one sub per amp at one ohm each. Would this be better on my electrical?

3) get an amp like the saz-2000 and run it half ohm but don't cut it wide open as this will be a daily system. I'm assuming to do this I would have to upgrade to at least another battery and maybe alt.

Help would be appreciated. Oh and I'm running the subs in 1.5 ft3 after displacemnent roughly per sub ported.

My first choice...do big 3, add secondary battery and run a 1.5-2k korean at .5

Second choice, still do big 3 and add battery and do a 2ohm amp. (kicker, alpine etc.)

I've already done the big three. May be why I've not had any voltage issues so far on the 1500 watts I have roughly. This will be stepping above the 1500 watt threshold that everyone says is where you need major upgrades. Going the half ohm route if my electrical isn't good I know it will be harder on the amp. Going the 2 ohm route with another kicker amp such as the Dx-1800 will give me the wattage or close to it but I've noticed that the less efficient an amp the more power problems you have.

So with my other question, would two strapped smaller amps at 1 ohm each need more power than one amp twice the size running at 2 ohm?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

countrygunner

countrygunner
Viper, ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
countrygunner