Why the hell are the tweeters so bright?

Alpine4life89
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
missouri
On my last two set of components, the tweeter has been ridiculously bright (diamond hex and ID CTX165). How bright, well they almost make my ears bleed with the highs turned all the way down. And when i turn everything on flat (like a real system is supposed to be run) they are literally unlistenable. They also give off a really harsh sound on certain vocals and guitar parts. It's like the mids are only playing at half potentia because they can't catch up to the bright tweeters.

Now before i go any further, i have my crossovers all set at 80, with a 12db slope. And on my 5 band EQ i have the highs at 4k because if i go any lower or higher they give off unnatural harsh sounds. I also have a set of resistors in their to try and decrease the brightness, but like i said, they are just wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too bright. And what riddles me is the fact that they are unlistenable at a flat EQ.

I need some help , i have to be doing something wrong.

what do you mean you have the highs at 4k on your eq? Are you cutting or boosting that frequency? Also where are your tweets mounted? Do either component set come with a -3 or -6 switch for the tweets?

I agree with JimJ, EQ's are made so you can cut and boost to your liking, not to leave all settings at 0db. Good Luck!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.