Why don't competitors use pro audio subs?

Not really, cone movement is cone movement. If two subs in otherwise identical situations are both moving 10mm, but one requires 10,000 watts to get there while the only required 100 watts, they are still creating the same SPL level (again all other factors being equal). The reason power handling becomes important is due to what I mentioned above about increased cone dampening at or near tuning in a vented box.
So a given amount of cone displacement (area x stroke) causes a given amount of volume? This isnt exactly accurate. If it would be, the Extreme class wouldnt exist, as the people running 12 12s for daily would be much much louder than the people running 1 or 2 18s in Extreme.

So a given amount of cone displacement (area x stroke) causes a given amount of volume? This isnt exactly accurate. If it would be, the Extreme class wouldnt exist, as the people running 12 12s for daily would be much much louder than the people running 1 or 2 18s in Extreme.
So you missed where I said 'all other things being equal' twice?

edit: works cut out for ya to get 1k@8 ohms. i would like to hear 4 of them in a van at about 55-65 hz lol.
Could just do some sort of wall in the blazer.

With my amp, 3000W/4 subs would give me 750W per sub @ 2 ohm.. hmmm.. that would work.

But when you change subs, all other things arent equal, so that doesnt really matter.
It was a hypothetical example to make a point. Hypothetical means I can say 'all other things being equal' to eliminate the very stipulations you wish to interject to muddy the point.
Say in a magical world you can have two otherwise identical situations besides the power required for the otherwise identical subs to reach 10mm. The 'magical' land was assumed when i said what I did, 'all other things being equal'. You missing that doesn't negate my point.

The drivers listed are not really "pro-audio" drivers. They are very low end generic drivers for amateur garage band gear and wedding DJ's. Not the drivers your hearing at a concert or major event.

Most "Pro" subs are contracted custom production, and not easily available as retail components. You buy them in the cabinet as a complete sub. They try to keep thier drivers and some specs " proprietary". They cost thousands of dollars each.

These are "Pro-Audio" subs:

This is the EAW SB1000

SB1000e.jpg

The Meyer MILO M3D sub

MSL-M3D-SUB-2T.jpg

JBL VERTEC 4881 sub

11-05-2009-Jbl_vertec_4881_500x360.jpg

L'Acoustic V-Dosc SB218

sb_218.jpg

As Audioholic said, they are designed for different purposes. Still, If you've got the money to blow, I'd love to hear a few L'Acoustic SB 218's installed in a car/truck.

When burping at or very near tuning, like an SPL rig does, BL is important, as is heat dissipation. The ported enclosure dampens cone excursion greatly at this point, leading to the importance of those two areas. So actually, power handling, for once, is pretty important. But alot of factors go into a successful SPL speaker besides power handling, however that does not diminish its importance either.
Sufficient power for the application is important. Absolute power less so.

That and I never said power wasn't a factor. I said it was the least efficient means. You can increase power two fold and gain a maximum of 3db (less power compression which can become significant at these power levels), which means you also have to upgrade the power source to supply twice the power to the amplifier and the entire system, from wires to amplifiers to voice coils, has to dissipate twice as much heat.......or you can increase the sensitivity of the system by 3db, for example. And this is before we get into the details of power compressions effect on the system.

Is it "better" to reach Xdb with 2kw or 1kw? Why is reaching Xdb with 2kw more impressive or more important than reaching Xdb with less than 2kw?

This is the point I was getting at.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.