who knows rms math?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TDot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bronx
from what i understand rms has a lot to do with the freq range, so if the speaker's bottom end is currently 60Hz, how much more rms. can I get if I cut the speaker off at 200Hz? ...roughly. or is it not that simple?

Unfortunately there are no standards for speaker power ratings. Usually it's a thermal limit on the voice coil, not the mechanical limit at the lowest stated frequency. Some manufacturers actually spec at some low freq (like "XX Watts hipassed at 150 Hz) but most don't say. You'll be able to give them more at 200 than at 60 Hz but how much more depends on a lot of variables.

Ok, I understand. If you believe I can get at least another 10-15wrms out of it, that will be good enough.

Next question...I hope I'm clear on this. I had/have the Focal 165 ca1 rated 60wrms. I went ahead and got the hertz hsk 165 rated 125wrms because I wanted louder. The tweeters on the Focal's are 15wrms. I don't understand exactly how that works...if I pour 60wrms worth of voltage into the speakers only 15 gets distributed to the tweeter...respectfully. The reason this is a concern or a curiosity, is because I want to put the focal tweeters back in...but I want to pour 100wrms into the speakers do to the hertz woofers I'm leaving in. Can I do this?

Ok, I understand. If you believe I can get at least another 10-15wrms out of it, that will be good enough.
Next question...I hope I'm clear on this. I had/have the Focal 165 ca1 rated 60wrms. I went ahead and got the hertz hsk 165 rated 125wrms because I wanted louder. The tweeters on the Focal's are 15wrms. I don't understand exactly how that works...if I pour 60wrms worth of voltage into the speakers only 15 gets distributed to the tweeter...respectfully. The reason this is a concern or a curiosity, is because I want to put the focal tweeters back in...but I want to pour 100wrms into the speakers do to the hertz woofers I'm leaving in. Can I do this?
If you use the crossover that the tweeters were designed for you'll be fine. Component tweeters are often much higher than 4 ohms and draw less power than the mids with the same voltage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.