Which to choose: RE XX 2 way or eclipse 3 way

reed dollaz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Ocala, FL
I'm having a hard time deciding. I can get the eclipses somewhere else for around 260.00. I just sold my eclipse comps tho, got tired of them. So I wanted to try the XXX's. Soundquality wise, and midbass/bass output wise... which would be better.

The XXX's:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4928

Or the eclipse 3ways':

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2869

im leaning towards the 3ways because i can use the money i have down on my XXX's at the shop to get the eclipse ea4000 4channel amp to run them, then order these online. He's being a dick and wont give me my money back. he has 250.00 of my money so I basicly HAVE to buy something there. So if I go with the eclipses, ill get the 4ch eclipse for 130.00 (used) and get my changed back, use the remaining money and the money im getting in the mail this week from killahbean for the xbox I sold him.

So. XXX or eclipse 3way.

3 way set..

the ability to aim the midrange goes a long way.. most of all on the driver side where the RE XXX would be pointing straight at your leg (if you're doing normal door install)... you can now position it to hear the 400-3kish range (dont know crossover points exactly) and that makes a big difference imo...

yes passive isnt the best for a 3 way system.. but you can always change that in the future if you ever decide too...

i prefer a dedicated midbass in a 3way setup, from 70-80hz up to between 200-500, then midrange 500-4500ish and tweet from 4500ish up

i think a 3 way where the woofer plays to 1400hz is kinda odd? and i don't like 3 way passives, i say XXX

or you could go active 2 way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

jeez i have no clue now. what about if i install the XXX in the kick and put the tweeter in the door rather than the sail?
why not put both in the kick? if your really worried about angles and imaging enough to make custom kicks might as well go all out. From what i've been told its best to keep your mids and tweets as close as possible (physcally) if you separate them them when the frequencys that play thru both drivers play, you'll lose your sound stage and have some disorientation going on, now there are alot of people who have had a bunch of sucess with mids in the doors and tweets in the sails or A pillar, but it "usually" requires a little bit more tuning as far as time alignment and fine tuning crossover points (which if your running passive you don't have that option) so i would put them both in the kick, later on maybe you can switch to a 3way active by adding a true dedicated midbass and putting them in the doors and running the xxx's mids n tweets from 300hz up or something.

If anything, those XXX mids should be the dedicated midbass drivers, not the midrange. And check the depth on those xxx mids before you decide you want to mount them in the kicks. Not to mention, the lack of airspace in small kick panels will kill their low-end extension. They are designed to run IB in a large space like a car door, just like most other car audio mids.

The xxx will play midrange. But its extreme displacement design lends itself more to being a dedicated midbass driver than it does to being a midrange driver. If you HP that speaker at like 400hz, you will never see but a small fraction of that speaker's excursion potential, which is its claim to fame. If I was going to turn that 2-way passive setup into a 3-way active, id find like a 4" mid as the midrange to put in the kick with the tweet, and mount the xxx mid in the door with alot of deadening and plenty of power.

ok so ill HP it at around 175 then. i should get some good amount of bass along with some music. my last components were the eclipses and its mid was a dedicated midbass driver and i got plenty of music out of it as well as tons of excursion and bass. at about 160HP

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.