where did you......

screwing up is right. My cousin taught me a few things. I have made some big ass mistakes before, but we all do. Only been on the forums for maybe 9 months or so and ive learned alot. Just need to get in there and do/ try it yourself. Experince is key.

I learned by taking stuff out. When I would switch cars, I got tired of paying for labor, so I just paid attention to how things were in there as I took them out. Now I've done several installs, and each one gets better.

years of screwing things up. You younger guys have it much easier with the internet, I have learned more in the last two years that I had in the previous 14.
You got that right! Man I can't believe all the info out there now. Dam I feel old! I started when I was 14 when my dad showed me how to hook up a tape deck. A couple of yrs. later started working at a local shop.(16 yrs. ago) I was there for 2 mths. and the lead installer quit which left me alone. So I guess it was sink or swim. I was lucky though I got to go to a couple of the Rockford Fosgate "Top Gun" classes. So mine was pretty much all hands on learning. I also read all the owners manuals and magazines I could get my hands on. So my advice to you would be to keep scouring these forums, check out BCAE1.com and try to get a job w/ BB or CC or even a local shop. They will start you out with small jobs and you can work your way up. .

My very first attempt at doing a "custom" install (which was trying to put a set of 6"x9"s in the back dash of an '87 Nissan Sentra.)

The attempt ended in the car's owner having a really Effed-Up rear deck panel and no mounted speakers and I had to pay a local shop to fix my screwup. I decided then and there I would educate myself as shops make entirely too much money for really basic stuff ($70 or more to install a HU when the install involves no more than easy removal of the OEM unit and replacing it with an aftermarket deck and a harness adapter? Puh-LEEZE!)

Over the years being continually involved in the hobby keeps expanding my knowledge base.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.