What's the best deadener for the Roof?

BennyLava

Banned
DFW
Looks like we need a sound deadener forum on this website. Anyone agree?

Anyway, got yet another question. I have been doing a lot of reading, and a lot of research. Much of which was suggested by members here. But there is one thing that I have not quite been able to piece together, since so few of the sites actually talk about it. And that is, which deadener can be trusted to hang upside down, from the roof? I don't know how you guy's vehilcles are, but it is my opinion that the air flowing over the roof of my old truck does in fact cause some vibration and resonance. This has become more apparent to me, now that I have used sound deadeners on the rest of the vehicle. The rest is quiet, but I can hear the roof singing. So which one is strong enough to stand the test of time? This will be the hardest position for any deadener on the market to tackle. Being pulled down by it's own weight, under high heat conditions. This is something that you have to get right the very first time, or else your headliner could be ruined. I will be using expensive suede for my headliner, so I can not have any screw ups. It seems to me like the butyl based goo-mats are just not right for the job, and that some kind of spray would be best. What are your thoughts?

Second Skin. I have old school SS on my roof, stuff that is inferior to current product, and it has been up there for over 5 years...

I also have a suede headliner. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

nG

I'm getting ready to do this as well and from everything that I've read and researched it seems as though the best method is a liquid deadener such as Spectrum or eDead. I'm also doing a suede headliner and think I'll be going with Spectrum.

Dont use the liquid deadener on the hood, use the Second Skin mat, its better to use the liquid deadener in hard to reach areas. It mite be messy tryin to apply it to the hood. One or two layers on the hood should be fine.

Why would we need a special forum for sound deadender when the obvious answer to any question that will be asked, is second skin? There is no other deadener according to most.
Yeah especially when their rep is always around here pushing their product. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Dont use the liquid deadener on the hood, use the Second Skin mat, its better to use the liquid deadener in hard to reach areas. It mite be messy tryin to apply it to the hood. One or two layers on the hood should be fine.
umm.....just one question why would you use deadener on your hood lol besides i think op was talkin about his roof haha:laugh:

dude if you put that **** on the TOP of the roof, it will never fall down and ruin ur nice suede. looks pretty cool too, like a Deloreon n ****.....

Any of the high performance butyl/aluminum foil vibration dampers will stay on the roof with no problem at all. It can get very hot up there, but not beyond anything butyl can take.

I think the best approach for a rood is to start with a vibration damper and follow that with a layer of closed cell foam. While thin layers of foam won't absorb most of the lower frequency noise we deal with in cars, they will help with the high frequency noise caused by air turbulence. Also provides an extra bit of thermal insulation where you need it most.

Nice to hear that so many people are in this thread suggesting Second Skin!

I appreciate the reccomendations more than you know..

In fact, first 3 people that email me right now get a 15% off code to be used on our website for products that our dealers don't carry.

If you don't have a dealer in your area, then you can get whatever you wnat.

Only the first 3 though!

service@secondskinaudio.com

To answer the OP question, Go with a heavy duty vibration damper.

Here are some good ones that have gained popularity becuase of how well they perform

Dynamat Extreme

Hushmat (get the silver foil stuff, not the black mylar)

Stinger Road Kill Expert

Cascade V-max

SDS CLD Tiles

Ours is Damplifier Pro

Once you treat the sheet metal with a vibration damper, you can apply a layer of jute batting to help reduce the heat.

Most of our customer use Heat Wave Pro Thermal Insulation.

When you car is sitting in the sun, this almost makes is a comfortable as though it were sitting in the shade.

Cascade has a similar product called I-12 "The Insulator"

A lot of people use the coatings on the ceiling because they dry very hard and help reduce panle flex.

There are a bunch of companies that sell these.

Cascade

eD

Quiet Solutions

Stealth Kote

We sell 2. Spectrum and Sludge. I formulated these myself. In fact I just made a change to them both. I introduced technology from our bed liner product in to the noise coating product that is proving to provide a major increase in hardness and Tg (T sub g) which is the thermal point that the product gets soft. Too much heat and it is no longer hard.

For the ceiling this is perfect. Now the heat no longer effect the Spectrum or Sludge in the same way so it will do a better job during those very hot days.

Hope that helps!

ANT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.