What to do with the wires?

SomeGuyDude
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Okay, pre-fab boxes always have that fancy-dan wire terminal doohickey on them, the little black recessed piece of plastic with metal screws or whatever to jam the wires into. QLogic's are especially nice because they have the red/black flip pieces.

So my question is, what do you guys do? In my old box the wires just came straight out of the port but that was ugly as all hell. So where could I get the plastic bit, or is there an alternate solution?

the terminals probably unscrew which backs it out enough to reveal a hole the wire is placed in then screwed back down

if you go with the threaded rod method you can rewire your subs without taking them out of the box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

if you go with the threaded rod method you can rewire your subs without taking them out of the box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
You can do what with a where now?

dude you are way over thinking this just use bolt method no chance for leak

some times term cup leak or rattle and if wire get pulled sometimes silicone can become dislodged and hole leaks (albeit very little /but leak) use bolts/ threaded rod just do not use galvinized

I've always drilled a hole, sealed the wires with silicone and tied a knot in the wires on the inside so they can't get pulled. The bolt method does sound good though.

Terminal cups are made with the shittiest materials imaginable and accept very small gauge wire usually. The actual contact surface (the metal on the terminal) isn't even copper or brass for that matter (unless you buy the nice brass or gold plated binding posts on PE). It's usually the cheapest metal the factory in china could find //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Take your nice fat wire, and run it straight to the subs via a hole in the back of the box. Put a dab of silicone around the wire in the hole to make it airtight (terminal cups leak FYI). Now you have a solid connection second to none and it's completely airtight as well as hidden and out of the port. The next best option is a brass threaded bolt as a binding post and criming on wire-end rings and screwing them down onto the post with a nut. Still use a bit of silicone to make sure the bolt hole is air-tight but don't get any between the ring terminals so you get a good connection.

DSC00775.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.