what the difference between 0db, -3db, -6db etc test tones?

i read/heared that no song out there hit -6db so if ur using the -6db with a dmm ur still on the safe side, c can also use the 0db but the sound will be low to ur hearingz.

besides the dbeez?
Will using one over the other cause problems with the system? Say will settiong gains with a -6db tone pose more of a risk than a -0bd if using a dmm?
- means your cutting it --- + means your boosting it

starting at 0db using a passive tweet crossover for an example

0db would be reference level. THis means the tweets play at the same level the mids do.

-3db means the tweets will play 3db lower than reference level ( the mids) or theoretically half as loud

-6db means the tweets will play 6db lower than reference level ( the mids) or theretically 1/4 as loud

So the -db represents how far down from reference level the tones are recorded. A change of 3db Logarithmically represents "twice as loud" to the ear. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So if I understand correctly, setting your amp with -6 test tone will be louder than 0db test tone. Will this cause damage to the equipment? I am trying to get as much out of my system as possible without damaging anything.
No. -6 means negative 6. What does negative do? it reduces. And dont use a DMM to set your gains...that does not work.

No. -6 means negative 6. What does negative do? it reduces. And dont use a DMM to set your gains...that does not work.
I have done this for years how does this not work?

RMSchart-nodirections.jpg

starting at 0db using a passive tweet crossover for an example 0db would be reference level. THis means the tweets play at the same level the mids do.

-3db means the tweets will play 3db lower than reference level ( the mids) or theoretically half as loud

-6db means the tweets will play 6db lower than reference level ( the mids) or theretically 1/4 as loud

So the -db represents how far down from reference level the tones are recorded. A change of 3db Logarithmically represents "twice as loud" to the ear. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I believe that's 10db. 3db = twice the powa or cone area.

No, believe its 6 DB to the ear. Lol
3 dB = twice the power (Power respectively intensity - mostly calculated)

6 dB = twice the amplitude (Voltage respectively sound pressure - mostly measured)

10 dB = twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (Loudness nearly sensed - psychoacoustics)

3 dB = twice the power (Power respectively intensity - mostly calculated)6 dB = twice the amplitude (Voltage respectively sound pressure - mostly measured)

10 dB = twice the perceived volume or twice as loud (Loudness nearly sensed - psychoacoustics)
Oops, I was thinking of something else. You are right.

K so I have 0db, -3db, -6db, and -10db tones. Which sould I use to get te most out of my system without damaging my equipment? Also, for now I need to use the DMM because I have no idea what what I'm listening for and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.