Weak bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jerryrich12

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2 kicker L7 15s. 4000 watt American bass amp. JBL 4 channel amp for the mids and highs. Everything was working fine until I loss bass. Bass still plays but it's very weak. I hook them up to another battery and subs starts hitting again. Not to mention I have 2 optima yellow top batteries with a 370 mechman alternator. Help. Thanks

check all your power wires, ground wires and fuse blocks. 1 bad connection somewhere or even just a slightly loose fuse could cause this. You could also have a bad battery, but I’d expect the car wouldn’t start if that was the case. Still a possibility to check.

Deff check all your connections to make sure they are secure. Alternator,batteries,fuses,grounds,amp sub wiring inside the enclosure and at the amplifier.

Deff check all your connections to make sure they are secure. Alternator,batteries,fuses,grounds,amp sub wiring inside the enclosure and at the amplifier.
I have to try another serpentine belt too. Mechman says to try a 1/2 shorter than stock because the alternator pully is 1.75 smaller than stock

I have to try another serpentine belt too. Mechman says to try a 1/2 shorter than stock because the alternator pully is 1.75 smaller than stock
Absolutely. When I ordered mine from Apex, they recommended the next size down for the same reason, the pulley is slightly smaller. Makes a lot of difference from what they told me.

Connections are good it was hitting pretty good for months then all of a sudden weak bass.
How old are your batteries? A belt that slips on the alternators pully deff makes the resolution contact an issue to maintain the voltage output that the alternator is designed to work at. You can take a DMM, or Multimeter and place it at the alternator output while the vehicle is running and play your system to see how much the voltage range is when on and off, and at the last battery as well. Two points of testing the Voltage

How old are your batteries? A belt that slips on the alternators pully deff makes the resolution contact an issue to maintain the voltage output that the alternator is designed to work at. You can take a DMM, or Multimeter and place it at the alternator output while the vehicle is running and play your system to see how much the voltage range is when on and off, and at the last battery as well. Two points of testing the Voltage
Batteries are practically brand new. I'll try this over the weekend. Still have a 2yr warranty on both Batteries.

Any hairpin alternator like that will always require a minimum of at least a 1/2" shorter belt up to as much as a 1" shorter belt due to the pulley they put on them. I tried a 1/2" shorter on mine and it worked but when I went to a 3/4" shorter belt it made a slight difference but for the better. Nice thing is you take the length of the OEM belt, how many groves from Dayco then from there can order the belt you need. My 1/2" shorter one even though have a ford is the right one for a small dodge car iirc. The 3/4" inch shorter belt is off some foreign car and the 1" iirc works on a chevy, ford or jeep,lol. As long as it has the right grooves even though it is that 1/2" shorter or as much as 1" shorter it is a belt it will work.

Last edited:
I have 2 kicker L7 15s. 4000 watt American bass amp. JBL 4 channel amp for the mids and highs. Everything was working fine until I loss bass. Bass still plays but it's very weak. I hook them up to another battery and subs starts hitting again. Not to mention I have 2 optima yellow top batteries with a 370 mechman alternator. Help. Thanks
Maybe check your alternator output? Also rip out all that audio 0 gauge crap and buy high end welding wire…..much better capacity for amperage to flow……also make sure your yellow tops are charging properly…..do this buy disconnecting everything and run a volt meter on it….

Maybe check your alternator output? Also rip out all that audio 0 gauge crap and buy high end welding wire…..much better capacity for amperage to flow……also make sure your yellow tops are charging properly…..do this buy disconnecting everything and run a volt meter on it….
Done all that with a multimeter and voltage was reading the proper voltage. Alternator reading 14.4 battery charging. Battery resting stage at resting voltage 12.4. Sent my amplifier off for repair. There was some defects found

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...