Upgrade advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

bilboaudio

CarAudio.com Recruit
I am currently running a Helix Matxch m5dsp amp which is 4x60 watt rms plus a sub output powering a helix sub, it also has a 2 channel line out and 7 dsp channels. This is presently powering pioneer ts-d65c 2 way components. I would like something that can go a bit louder on existing amp that can go fully active as the pioneer woofers have coils built into the basket.

I have a cancelation around 500hz and issues at 3 khz so was thinking of 1. going with a 3 way component set so I can bring 500hz up to the mids or 2. trying a wide band of some sort and replacing the tweeter with that and staying 2 way.

I have a spare mini 4 channel pioneer amp which can be bridged to give 2 x 90 watt rms for the mids if required connected to dsp line out.

I would like to be able to drop the mid or wideband in the GM OEM dash mounts holes of which are 3.5 inches apart. I dont want to spend a ton on highend stuff but am looking for a reasonable sound improvement. If I go 3 way the tweeters would be dash mounted with a sticky pad or similar.

Any recommendations?

So far I have seen Morel MAXIMO Ultra 603A MKII which I think will fit, Audison APK163 but I dont think I have enough power and the mid looks too big on them?

I cant really hear above 16kHZ if that is a factor.

In terms of wide band, Audison Prima AP 2 Broadband Speaker , also Morel CCWR254 although not sure these will go low enough. I would also need to replace the mids with something if I go for a wide band I think.

SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 + Blam LFR80
or
SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 + Blam LFR50
or
SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 +AF GS25 alot more exensive
or
ACCESS 165 AS3 (Active)
or
Morel Maximo Ultra 3 way (Active)
or
Eton PRS 165.3 (Active)

SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 + Blam LFR80
or
SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 + Blam LFR50
or
SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 +AF GS25 alot more exensive
or
ACCESS 165 AS3 (Active)
or
Morel Maximo Ultra 3 way (Active)
or
Eton PRS 165.3 (Active)
Using raw drivers is always guesswork unless you have heard that combination before. The Access has this review-
Screenshot_20220609-203230.png

The Morels and Etons get great reviews, so my vote goes to whichever of those two. (Etons look nicer)

Focal is overated and over priced in my opinion. You can find better for the $
focals are great for home audio..... not sure about mobile, so i deffer to you.

at those frequencies, you might want to look towards reflection and ressonance in the doors for your cancellation source. and, of course, make sure you are phased correctly. pioneers arent all that great. better than sony or any cheap brand, but premiers are just pretty good, and what you have looks to be ok to good, at best. they make soft foam buckets to dampen road noise and resonance/reflection. that might be your easiest solution. i take it you are trying tones and sweeps. try free air, or a piece of wood sheething to guage if the response deficits are natural or environmental to the drivers. try lowes, maybe some home depot (not likely). they often give away shipping sheets of 45"x8' particle board where better wood was shipped on and cannot be sold. might be different size, but just look for the more active lumber handler and theyll probably know of said free material, or who does know about/ manages it. good to bolster your counter top with sacrificial material or to test stuff with. also, ask abut "stickers"... anywhere from 2x4 to 1x2 grooved 40-48" strapping boards, totally free for your little home and garden projects.

Thanks - the dip occurs when each mid is playing on its own and together at the listening position but goes when the mic is put near to the speaker the doors have plenty of deadener so pretty sure is the center console. I am definitely selling as never been 100% happy with them and want go fully active without modifying the woofer which has the cap built into the basket.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...