Trunk hinge squeak from sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

accuab
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
As the title states I am getting a squeak noise what from seems to be the trunk hinge when the sub hits. I had trunk rattles before and reinforced all of them and they went away. But it seems strengthening the rattles now has caused the hinge to squeak as I don't remember it before. I have tightened all the mounting hardware for the hinge and it's still there. It only happens on one side of the trunk. I can push down on the trunk on that spot and it goes away so I know that's what it is. I figure I can probably put wd-40 or something to help but is there any way to fix this?

I am also getting rattling out the driver side trunk hinge area when the bass is loud. The only two points any noises are coming from the trunk now are at both hinges. Is there any way to help this area out? I was able to use foam insulation to remove rattling on the truck light centerpiece. But I'm not sure what to do about the hinges. I tried putting white lithium grease on them to help it but that didn't seem to work at all. I only have 1 12 in a ported box so it's not like it's a ridiculous amount of bass. I just don't want to have any rattling going on. Mainly because I can hear the trunk rattling on the inside of the car. Any help?

You may have to use some kind of deadner/sealer/Dynamatt? Have you tried some PB Blast yet?Thats some pretty good stuff man:cool:
I thought about a sound deadener but wasn't sure how well it would work for the point it is vibrating. I read in one of the automotive forums that they have used a stuff called peel and seal from lowes that's made for roofing that seems to work real good as a sound deadener. Plus it's only like $15 for a 6" wide strip that is 25 feet long. I was trying to avoid having to put any on the car tho because it leaves the black residue that's hard to get off if I ever decide to remove it. But I can't stand a car to have vibrations from subs. It's annoying and just sounds trashy to me.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_4294934213_4294937087_?productId=1018733&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Roof%2BCoatings_4294934213_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo= That's the link for the peel and seal.

I would try plastic shims. Drill a hole about the size of the hinge pin or bolt. Cut a slit. Put in between the two hinge arms. Also pack grease in the hinge. Deadener on the arms themselves wouldn't hurt either. For the plastic, you could just use a folder or whatever. If it is the arms rattling on a pin, a piece of tubing that will fit between the arm and the pin will often work.

I would try plastic shims. Drill a hole about the size of the hinge pin or bolt. Cut a slit. Put in between the two hinge arms. Also pack grease in the hinge. Deadener on the arms themselves wouldn't hurt either. For the plastic, you could just use a folder or whatever. If it is the arms rattling on a pin, a piece of tubing that will fit between the arm and the pin will often work.
You just gave me an idea. Maybe something like a fuel or vacuum split down the center and placed on the lower part of the hinge so the top will rest on it. I'll look at it in the light tomorrow and see what kind of ideas I can come up with. A rubber piece would help dampen the vibrations plus make the trunk seal tighter I think.

By using a plastic shim, you mean a shim on the hinge pivot point to take the slack out of the pin and providing a damper between the pin and hinge?

It really depends on what kind of hinges they are. With the shims, if it is a 2 piece hinge like most hoods have it would be to keep the two pieces from rattling on each other.

The other would be to keep the metal rattling on the pivot pin(as a bushing). Post up a pic if you can't figure them out. Odds are someone has fixed your type before. Some cars have plastic bushings that can wear out. It could also be where the hinge mounts to the body or trunk with bolts. In that case a simple cardboard gasket could be cut out of a shoebox with rtv sealant applied. Or deadener put in between the two if it will compress enough to allow the trunk not to stick up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.