Time Alignment T/A Delay, etc.

T/a - Yes, i use it. Yes, i like it.

I don't care about my passenger seat when i'm listening - and i have a pre-set that swaps the t/a to the passenger seat if i want to.

To set it, I measure the distances and set t/a according to the formula, then add a little more delay to my left side or remove some from the right side so that the sound feels like it's coming from the center of the car instead of directly in front of my head...so, eclipse's formula says to use a little less T/A than I do.

I'm not working with an ideal setup as i'm still running passive...so i don't get the benefit of separate T/A on each tweet and woofer - but I don't have anywhere near ideal speaker placement...so as a result, T/A helps immensely. Currently, the settings in my car are ~0.6ms delay front right, 1.6ms delay front left. Delaying the fronts relative to the sub does help with subbass merging up front, if your sub is wayyy back in your trunk and your fronts are nearby.

relative to the speakers being delayed, wouldn't the non-delayed speakers be considered sped up(if you want to call it that) ?
Well thats what I meant by having to go back and forth. what if you just want to speed up one speaker, instead of delaying all the rest a step back. It be nice to have the option for convenience.

Well thats what I meant by having to go back and forth. what if you just want to speed up one speaker, instead of delaying all the rest a step back. It be nice to have the option for convenience.
lazy ass.

I was thinking that due to distance and group delay, the sub requiresno delay at all in a trunk or hatchback. I would also think (perhaps wrongly)

that the rear facing and ported enclosures increase the delay needed for the

cabin speakers over what would be needed based on distance alone.
The wave length of 20hz is longer than a car but the sub plays higher frequencies too. We are worried about frequencies around the crossover point.

I measure from the cone, so a rear facing box would have a longer measurement. As stated before that measurement is just an initial setting. You still have to tune by ear.

i just got done doing mine and tape measure method was noooooooo where close at all
where was the center focus?

I heard a setup during a meet that was tuned w/ the imprint via an Alpine h650, the staging looked like the diagram I posted.

I got it now though and I did not use the straight tape method and in all actuality my method was still off a good 15% with what my digital settings are on my 4000. Also had to bump the passenger side a tad to get my bass upfront and centered.....my old fugly kicks I did not have to use any time alignment...I also like fully active vs using passives as I can dial it in better and seemingly get the treble "wider" but I highly doubt my truck ever makes a show its too big of a pos. LOL

i did something with t/a over the weekend, i dont know what i did but it sounds mad tasty. i got a boner just listening to it. its a shame im only in the car driving for short periods of time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Ask Scott Buwalda about the different ways TA works on the p9 combo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i did something with t/a over the weekend, i dont know what i did but it sounds mad tasty. i got a boner just listening to it. its a shame im only in the car driving for short periods of time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
It is in these moments where the memory preset comes in mighty handy. My car is set up the same way, by the "i don't know what i did but it sounds mad tasty" method. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

I'm also never really in my car for more than 20 min max....so I can't really talk myself out of it unless I sit and critically listen.....which ain't gonna happen when it's 12 below zero. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Ask Scott Buwalda about the different ways TA works on the p9 combo //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Tell me about it! I'd still vouch for "Mr SQ's T/A Method Extraordinaire" as i just mentioned.

But I will admit that my biggest obstacle to really nailing it is switching my speakers just as often as I switch my sexual orientation. You tend to get confused on the right hole and it does take some practice over time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

during the countdown tonight, i'm gonna use my time correction feature and see if I can delay the new year.

during the countdown tonight, i'm gonna use my time correction feature and see if I can delay the new year.
Before you do that, make sure to change the intensity of the sun...you know, to make it warmer....and also the phase of the sun.....you know, to make it shine 180* out of darkness. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.