Time Alignment T/A Delay, etc.

Do you use it? Yes

Do you care for it? Absolute necessity

Any things to be done before the T/A process? T/A should be the first thing

What are you trying to achieve (goals) with T/A? Center the sound stage and reduce phase cancellation

_________

What's your method(s)?

T/A should be the first thing you set. The reason is because it changes phase relation between a set of coaxial or between the mids and tweeters in a component configuration.

If you EQ first and get everything to sound it's best and then change T/A it will affect your EQ because the phase relationship will change. But it you T/A first the EQ will not effect your phase relationship but just the frequency levels of what you're adjusting.

Here's how I tune.

I measure and adjust T/A to get a good starting point. I then adjust T/A using my ears and pink noise to get a strong and focused image hopefully in the middle of the dash. At this point it might not be exactly in the middle of you dash but should be close. It's more important to have a strong focused image at this point. Once you feel you have accomplished that level match the drivers until the image is in the center of your dash.

Let's say you have a strong and focused image but it's left of center. Your next step would be to lower the left side level/gain and raise the right side level/gain the same amount until it's centered.

The third thing I like to do, if you have individual left and right EQ, is adjust each frequency to get better focus. With the pink noise we have created the best center image we can but there still might be some frequencies that wave left or right of center. Burn a cd with the frequencies that are adjustable with your deck. Play each one and again adjust the left and right EQ so that each frequency comes from the center of your dash.

Now it's time to adjust you EQ to your liking.

how bout tickers in the vents?
Do you have more tweeters or just those two?

FYI, I've heard of others putting tweeters in the same location and it caused them to fail. They were thinking condensation from the A/C caused the issue.

Do you have more tweeters or just those two?
FYI, I've heard of others putting tweeters in the same location and it caused them to fail. They were thinking condensation from the A/C caused the issue.
He was just being silly. That's not his install.

I wonder if the guy who owns that setup thinks that he can guild the waves using the fins that usually guides air from the vents. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I wonder if the who owns that setup thinks that he can guild the waves using the fins that usually guides air from the vents. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
LOL, Ok good

Do you use it? Yes
Do you care for it? Absolute necessity

Any things to be done before the T/A process? T/A should be the first thing

What are you trying to achieve (goals) with T/A? Center the sound stage and reduce phase cancellation
By TAing you are adjusting the way the car centers at your given position, adjusting for your off to the side seating position. Correcting for that crappy seating position. So theoretically if I could get both sides amplitude to match perfectly across the drivers playing frequency band at this same spot. Wouldn't I be accomplishing the same thing? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I wonder if the guy who owns that setup thinks that he can guide the waves using the fins that usually guides air from the vents. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
on the fly imaging!

...It did strike me odd that they are in the center ac vents and not on separate sides of the car

By TAing you are adjusting the way the car centers at your given position, adjusting for your off to the side seating position. Correcting for that crappy seating position. So theoretically if I could get both sides amplitude to match perfectly across the drivers playing frequency band at this same spot. Wouldn't I be accomplishing the same thing? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
No because T/A adjusts when sound from each driver reaches your head. Adjusting amplitude is just that, it doesn't effect when it reaches your head. It might sound like it is because it can move the center image.

Without T/A the sound from each driver will reach your ear at different times and that causes cancellation of some frequencies.

Reading the link should help.

http://sound.westhost.com/ptd.htm#time-delay

Is TA a form of phase adjustment? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Why yes, yes it is.

random T/A thought:
assuming I only have two speakers (left and right)

I wonder if I can delay the left speaker to where the cone will move outward after the right speaker has already moved outward and is on its way inward.

So, during this phase of my life... I'm still not sure if i want to go further with car audio. This stuff is just too complicated to understand.
Though, I engage in all this audio small talk, I'm at a..phase in my life where I'm not caring for car audio like I used to. It's a very very very small phase of my life, but still.. How is this relevant?. I don't know. Its just a phase I'm going through.

Is TA a form of phase adjustment? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
No. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif Too general of a question. You have to give a context. Delay a single driver by 400 hours and it won't appear to move 4ms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.